Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Sunday, May 24
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABS Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLIVE
    ABS Africa TV
    Home»Travel»Kenya’s Controversial ETA System Switch Triggers Investor, Tourism Backlash
    Travel

    Kenya’s Controversial ETA System Switch Triggers Investor, Tourism Backlash

    Chukwu GodloveBy Chukwu GodloveApril 22, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Kenya’s Controversial ETA System Switch Triggers Investor, Tourism Backlash
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
    Post Views: 34


    Nairobi — Kenya’s abrupt replacement of its Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) system in March has sparked backlash from the tourism sector and triggered potential legal action from Swiss firm Travizory Border Security, raising concerns over the country’s digital governance and investor confidence.

    The government quietly replaced the ETA system–introduced in January 2024 through a partnership with Travizory–with a new platform reportedly developed under the e-Citizen framework by an undisclosed local vendor.

    The change, which occurred without public notice or explanation, has disrupted entry processes for visitors and negatively impacted tour operators and hospitality businesses.

    The now-defunct Travizory system had received praise for reducing processing time from up to 14 days to less than 72 hours, boasting 99.97 percent uptime and supporting over 1.8 million applications in its first year.

    The platform also introduced advanced security features including real-time traveler screening and digital travel credentials.

    Its replacement has drawn criticism from users and industry stakeholders who report system glitches, delayed approvals, and poor user experience.

    “Tourists have missed flights due to approval delays. The trust that had been built is quickly eroding,” said Boniface Mwangi, a Nairobi-based tour operator.

    Travizory is reportedly preparing a multi-million dollar lawsuit against the Kenyan government, alleging intellectual property theft and breach of contract.

    Sign up for free AllAfrica Newsletters

    Get the latest in African news delivered straight to your inbox


    Success!

    Almost finished…

    We need to confirm your email address.

    To complete the process, please follow the instructions in the email we just sent you.


    Error!

    There was a problem processing your submission. Please try again later.

    The company claims its platform’s design and technology were replicated by the new vendor.

    Legal experts warn the dispute could damage Kenya’s reputation as a destination for foreign direct investment in digital infrastructure.

    “This case could set a precedent on how governments engage with international tech partners,” said a Nairobi-based legal analyst familiar with the matter.

    “If Kenya is seen as an unsafe environment for IP, future collaborations could be at risk.”

    The Tourism Federation of Kenya has urged the government to resolve the disruptions, citing a rise in cancellations and a drop in bookings.

    The episode also threatens to undercut recent gains in tourism, which saw a 40 percent increase in visitor numbers following the launch of the ETA system and the visa-free entry policy.

    As pressure mounts, observers say the government’s next steps will be closely watched by investors, international partners, and the travel industry.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Chukwu Godlove

      Related Posts

      Dust-covered and forgotten: The strange rise of abandoned cars at SA airports

      May 24, 2026

      Togo opens visa-free travel to all African passport holders

      May 24, 2026

      Bali issues strict visa warning to influencers and digital nomads

      May 24, 2026
      Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

      ABS TV and ABS Network News is a leading Pan-African 24/7 broadcasting network delivering nonstop news, talk shows, lifestyle programs, and digital media content worldwide through Satellite, Streaming Platforms, and Roku TV.
       
      Based in the United States, we connect Africa to the world while empowering creators, journalists, and brands through innovative media and broadcasting services.
      Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp Instagram

      Our Picks

      World News

      DOJ sues DC Bar amid fight over disciplining Trump administration attorneys

      Sports

      European round-up: Como and Roma snatch final Champions League spots in Serie A

      Trending

      Africa: Inklings | Who Should Run Pooled Funds?

      Most Popular

      Sports

      Doc refused to testify in Bok prop case

      Technology

      Oukitel WP61 Plus vs Ultra: Push-to-talk or thermal imaging for field teams

      Culture

      ‘Fjord’ by Romania’s Cristian Mungiu wins Palme d’Or at Cannes Film Festival

      © 2026 Copyright. All Rights Reserved by ABSAFRICATV
      • Privacy Policy
      • Terms of Services

      Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

      We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.