Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Miss Nigeria 2026 Begins with a Beauty & Fashion Fair Celebrating Women “Made of More”

    February 17, 2026

    Egypt: President El-Sisi Holds Meeting with New Governors and their Deputies

    February 17, 2026

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Tuesday, February 17
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Americans survived one government shutdown and brace for another
    World News

    Americans survived one government shutdown and brace for another

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeNovember 16, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Americans survived one government shutdown and brace for another
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Beth Johnson is accustomed to the uncertainty that comes with being a military wife – picking up and moving her family every three years.

    The crippling anxiety that comes with a US government shutdown, however, is not something she is used to.

    She is one of the millions of Americans who sighed a deep breath of relief when politicians in Washington agreed to reopen the government earlier this week.

    At 43 days, it was the longest shutdown in US history.

    But that relief could be short-lived, as the funding agreement expires at the end of January, when Congress will face the same spending challenge once again.

    “It really affects every part of your life when your family’s sole source of income comes from the federal government,” Ms Johnson said. “The uncertainty is crippling.”

    “Government, just do your job” – Frustration at airports as shutdown delays continue

    The Tennessee mother of two has lived in seven states since her husband joined the military nearly 20 years ago.

    Picking up and moving her family every three years means it is tough for her – and other service members’ spouses – to get work, so the Johnson family lives on one paycheque.

    Not knowing whether or not military service members would receive their paycheques from the shuttered government left her family with difficult decisions.

    Some 1.3 million active-duty personnel are required to serve during government shutdowns potentially without pay, but the Trump administration stepped in twice during the autumn shutdown to reallocate funds for those servicemembers.

    But without certainty, many families had to tighten their belts. One of Ms Johnson’s sons even offered to get fewer Christmas Gifts – “it’s ok we don’t need them,” he said to his mother.

    Ms Johnson is frustrated by what she described as unnecessary sacrifice from millions of Americans.

    “What was it all for? Why were we suffering for over 40 days in uncertainty, not knowing what was going to happen,” she questioned. “What was the point? We’re just going to go through this again probably in January.”

    The agreement Congress made this week funds the government for the next two months, guarantees that all federal workers will be paid for time during the shutdown, and funds the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Snap) – which provides food aid to one in eight Americans – until next September.

    Sierra Bird is one of the more than 42 million Americans who depend on funds from Snap to feed her family.

    The Florida mother of four gets about $900 a month, but those funds were delayed because they were caught up in the spending bill.

    Ms Bird said she “survived” the shutdown and her Snap card will be reloaded over the weekend.

    She’ll return to some sense of normal, but she’s also weary another shutdown could be on the horizon and she said she would start stockpiling food, just in case.

    “People are going to take what they need if they don’t have what they need,” Ms Bird said. “Don’t mess with people’s food.”

    While Snap benefits have resumed, one thing that hasn’t come back is health-insurance subsidies. It was those subsidies that Democrats had said they were willing to fight for, which helped fuel the shutdown in the first place.

    Democrats had said they would not approve the budget unless the subsidies continued. But on Tuesday, eight Democrats sided with Republicans to approve a spending plan without them.

    “I swapped one stress for another,” Ms Bird said. “I would rather have the affordable healthcare than Snap, because I can feed them rice and beans and survive, but I need my medications.”

    In addition to those struggling to put food on the table during the shutdown, more than 1.4 million federal employees went without pay for 43 days.

    Sarah, a Utah Interior Department employee who asked her last name not be used, was among them.

    She was furloughed from the start of the shutdown on 1 October and as the days and weeks went by she worried she would have to find another way to make money.

    “I was trying to decide if I wanted to give up the federal sector altogether to find another career,” Sarah said.

    As an archaeologist, she works in a unique, specialised role, making it hard to transfer her expertise to another job or industry.

    Her worries were quelled on Thursday when she returned to work for the first time in weeks, following the government’s reopening, but she is already preparing for the prospect of another one come January.

    “With the holidays coming up, I’m not going to spending a whole lot of money,” she said, noting she is putting off certain remodelling projects too.

    “I would not be the least bit surprised if another shutdown happened.”

    In the less than 80 days until the next potential government shutdown, Ms Johnson, the military wife, said she would be preparing, just in case.

    “We’re making a huge effort to watch unnecessary spending and save money where we can so we have a bigger nest egg built up because if the government shuts down again in January there’s no guarantee that active duty military is going to get paid.”



    Source link

    Post Views: 45
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    'It's never too late': Savannah Guthrie's new plea for mother's release as FBI analyses glove

    February 17, 2026

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Our favorite SCOTUS quotes – SCOTUSblog

    February 17, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Miss Nigeria 2026 Begins with a Beauty & Fashion Fair Celebrating Women “Made of More”

    By Prudence MakogeFebruary 17, 2026

    Something exciting is brewing for 2026, and it begins in Lagos. The Miss Nigeria Organisation…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Egypt: President El-Sisi Holds Meeting with New Governors and their Deputies

    February 17, 2026

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026

    Luxury Lodges With the Best Waterholes in South Africa

    February 17, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Miss Nigeria 2026 Begins with a Beauty & Fashion Fair Celebrating Women “Made of More”

    February 17, 2026

    Egypt: President El-Sisi Holds Meeting with New Governors and their Deputies

    February 17, 2026

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026
    Most Popular

    Miss Nigeria 2026 Begins with a Beauty & Fashion Fair Celebrating Women “Made of More”

    February 17, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.