Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Why Everyone Is Talking About The Argungu Festival

    February 17, 2026

    Ackerman, Scholtz combine for GOLD at African Champs

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Tuesday, February 17
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Cristiano Ronaldo attends White House dinner alongside Saudi crown prince
    World News

    Cristiano Ronaldo attends White House dinner alongside Saudi crown prince

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeNovember 19, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Cristiano Ronaldo attends White House dinner alongside Saudi crown prince
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Superstar footballer Cristiano Ronaldo attended a White House black-tie dinner alongside the de facto leader of Saudi Arabia on Tuesday night.

    Speaking ahead of the event, US President Donald Trump said it was an “honour” to host Ronaldo, whose starring role in the Saudi football league has seen him become a face of the country’s modernisation drive.

    Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman wants to reduce the country’s dependence on oil revenues by diversifying into other areas including sports and tourism.

    A White House official confirmed earlier in the day that Ronaldo would attend, but did not say if he was part of bin Salman’s official delegation.

    Many critics claim Saudi’s investment is aimed at gaining legitimacy and deflecting attention from its human rights record and the environmental impact of its oil industry – a practice referred to as ‘sportswashing’.

    Trump used his speech at the dinner to praise closer ties with Saudi Arabia, labelling the country a “major non-Nato ally”. Earlier in the day, Trump hosted the Saudi crown prince in the Oval Office.

    Turning to the Portuguese soccer star, Trump told the gathered guests: “My son is a big fan of Ronaldo”.

    “And Baron (Trump) got to meet him, and I think he respects his father a little bit more now, just the fact that I introduced you.”

    Also at the dinner was tech billionaire Elon Musk, who joined other influential business leaders including Apple CEO Tim Cook. It is the first time Musk has been to the White House since stepping down as the head of the Trump administration’s Department for Government Efficiency (Doge) in April.

    A dramatic feud between Trump and the Tesla tycoon played out publicly for months, and included Musk announcing that he would set up a new political party.

    Ronaldo’s attendance at the White House, meanwhile, marks one of his first known visits to the US since 2016.

    In the interim he has faced an allegation of sexual assault. Kathryn Mayorga alleged that Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009, which he denied.

    “I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me. Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in,” he said in a statement in 2018.

    In 2019, US prosecutors said Ronaldo would not face charges because the claims could not be proven.

    In early 2023, Ronaldo made the jump to Saudi Arabia when he became the face of the Saudi Pro League and captain of Al Nassr – the football club owned by sovereign wealth fund PIF which is chaired by the crown prince.

    In an industry where players are paid extraordinary amounts of money, Ronaldo’s pay deal with Saudi Arabia was astronomical. The footballer was reportedly paid $200m (£152m) a year – or more than half a million dollars a day.

    Then in June this year, he signed a new two-year deal for a reported total of $400m (£300m) and became football’s first billionaire player, according to Bloomberg, with a net worth of $1.4bn.

    That’s a lot of money for a 40-year-old footballer in the twilight of his career.

    But, according to Sanam Vakil, director of the Middle East and North Africa programme at Chatham House, Saudi Arabia has “invested heavily in high profile events and individuals to put the kingdom on the map” in terms of sports and tourism in its quest for modernism.

    Ronaldo has referred to bin Salman as “our boss” in an interview with broadcaster Piers Morgan.

    Earlier this month, he appeared at a Ministry of Tourism event in Riyadh where he talked up the kingdom’s development projects and his hopes for the 2034 FIFA World Cup being held in Saudi Arabia.



    Source link

    Post Views: 42
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Our favorite SCOTUS quotes – SCOTUSblog

    February 17, 2026

    Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    By Olive MetugeFebruary 17, 2026

    Listen to this articleEstimated 5 minutesThe audio version of this article is generated by AI-based…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Why Everyone Is Talking About The Argungu Festival

    February 17, 2026

    Ackerman, Scholtz combine for GOLD at African Champs

    February 17, 2026

    Short SA trips built around mood, not destination

    February 17, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Why Everyone Is Talking About The Argungu Festival

    February 17, 2026

    Ackerman, Scholtz combine for GOLD at African Champs

    February 17, 2026
    Most Popular

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.