Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    February 16, 2026

    Bright Osayi-Samuel Reflects on His Professional Journey and Nigeria’s Recent AFCON Run

    February 16, 2026

    Weir has a DNF as course takes its toll

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Ex-Honduran president, convicted of trafficking 360 tonnes of cocaine, out of prison after Trump pardon
    World News

    Ex-Honduran president, convicted of trafficking 360 tonnes of cocaine, out of prison after Trump pardon

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 2, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Ex-Honduran president, convicted of trafficking 360 tonnes of cocaine, out of prison after Trump pardon
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Text to Speech Icon

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 5 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by text-to-speech, a technology based on artificial intelligence.

    Former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernández, sentenced last year to 45 years in prison for his role in a drug-trafficking operation that moved hundreds of tonnes of cocaine to the United States, was released from prison following a pardon from President Donald Trump, officials confirmed Tuesday.

    The U.S. Bureau of Prisons inmate website showed that Hernández was released from U.S. Penitentiary, Hazelton in West Virginia on Monday, and a spokesperson for the bureau on Tuesday confirmed his release.

    His wife, Ana García, thanked Trump for pardoning Hernández via the social platform X early Tuesday.

    “After almost four years of pain, of waiting and difficult challenges, my husband Juan Orlando Hernández RETURNED to being a free man, thanks to the presidential pardon granted by President Donald Trump,” García’s post said.

    She included a picture of the U.S. Bureau of Prisons listing for Hernández indicating his release.

    A dark haired woman with her hair tied back, speaks into a microphone while surrounded by two younger women on either side.
    Ana García, centre, wife of the former Honduran president, is shown in Tegucigalpa on Friday. (Moises Castillo/The Associated Press)

    Trump was asked Sunday why he pardoned Hernández by reporters travelling with him on Air Force One.

    “I was asked by Honduras — many of the people of Honduras,” Trump said. “The people of Honduras really thought he was set up, and it was a terrible thing.”

    Jury conviction in 2nd day of deliberations

    Hernández’s lawyer, Renato Stabile, said in an emailed statement he could not share the former president’s current location. He added that Hernández is glad the “ordeal” is over.

    “On behalf of President Hernández and his family I would like to thank President Trump for correcting this injustice,” Stabile said.

    Hernández was arrested at the request of the United States in February 2022, weeks after Honduras’s current president, Xiomara Castro, took office.

    Two years later, Hernández was sentenced to 45 years in prison in a New York federal courtroom for taking bribes from drug traffickers so they could safely move some 360 tonnes of cocaine north through Honduras to the United States.

    At the start of his trial in February 2024, a U.S. prosecutor said Hernández had even boasted at a meeting with drug dealers that “together they were going to shove the drugs right up the noses of the gringos.”

    Hernández maintained throughout that he was innocent and the victim of revenge by drug traffickers he had helped extradite to the United States.

    Several people, men and women, are shown holding signs in Spanish at an outdoor demonstration.
    Demonstrators are shown outside a Manhattan federal court in New York City on May 10, 2022, to protest former Honduran president Juan Orlando Hernández. (David R. Martin/The Associated Press)

    Trump suggested in his comments in recent days that Hernández was somehow the victim of a “setup” from prosecutors in the U.S. Justice Department during Joe Biden’s administration, but the jury took less than two days to unanimously convict the former president.

    During his sentencing, federal Judge P. Kevin Castel said the punishment should serve as a warning to “well educated, well dressed” individuals who gain power and think their status insulates them from justice when they do wrong.

    Hernández portrayed himself as a hero of the anti-drug trafficking movement who teamed up with American authorities under three U.S. presidential administrations to reduce drug imports.

    But the judge said trial evidence proved the opposite and that Hernández employed “considerable acting skills” to make it seem that he strongly opposed drug trafficking while he deployed his nation’s police and military to protect the drug trade.

    The ex-president’s brother had been convicted at an earlier trial for distributing 165 tonnes of cocaine and ordered to forfeit $138.5 million US in proceeds for illegal drug trafficking.

    Honduran official slams pardon

    The move angered Democrats in Washington as Trump has used the alleged flow of drugs to the U.S. as the legal underpinning justifying a series of strikes on vessels near Venezuela and in the eastern Pacific, which have killed more than 80 people since Sept. 2.

    Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine called Trump’s decision to pardon Hernández “shocking.”

    “He was the leader of one of the largest criminal enterprises that has ever been subject to a conviction in U.S. courts, and less than one year into his sentence, President Trump is pardoning him, suggesting that President Trump cares nothing about narco-trafficking,” Kaine said on CBS’s Face the Nation.

    LISTEN | Jon Lee Anderson of the New Yorker on Trump’s Venezuela approach:

    Front Burner29:32Will the U.S. invade Venezuela?

    Republican reaction was mixed, with Oklahoma Sen. Markwayne Mullin telling CNN he trusted Trump’s judgment on the matter, while Florida congressmember Maria Elvira Salazar, usually a staunch Trump defender, told the same network she “would not have done that.”

    Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy, of Louisiana, was more emphatic in his criticism on X.

    “Why would we pardon this guy and then go after [Venezuelan President Nicolas] Maduro for running drugs into the United States? Lock up every drug runner! Don’t understand why he is being pardoned,” Cassidy posted on the weekend.

    Hernández is not guaranteed a quick return to Honduras.

    Immediately after Trump announced his intention to pardon Hernández, Honduras Attorney General Johel Zelaya said via X that his office was obligated to seek justice and put an end to impunity.

    He did not specify what charges Hernández could face in Honduras. There were various corruption-related investigations of his administration across two terms in office that did not lead to charges against him. President Castro, who oversaw Hernández’s arrest and extradition to the U.S., will remain in office until January.

    The pardon promised by Trump came days before Honduras’s presidential election, injecting a new element into the contest. Trump endorsed the National Party’s Nasry Asfura last week.

    The vote count proceeded on Tuesday.



    Source link

    Post Views: 47
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    February 16, 2026

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    By Olive MetugeFebruary 16, 2026

    Please note that SCOTUS Outside Opinions constitute the views of outside contributors and do not necessarily reflect…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Bright Osayi-Samuel Reflects on His Professional Journey and Nigeria’s Recent AFCON Run

    February 16, 2026

    Weir has a DNF as course takes its toll

    February 16, 2026

    5 of South Africa’s single industry towns worth visiting

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    February 16, 2026

    Bright Osayi-Samuel Reflects on His Professional Journey and Nigeria’s Recent AFCON Run

    February 16, 2026

    Weir has a DNF as course takes its toll

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.