Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    February 16, 2026

    Bright Osayi-Samuel Reflects on His Professional Journey and Nigeria’s Recent AFCON Run

    February 16, 2026

    Weir has a DNF as course takes its toll

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Trump administration pauses all immigration applications from 19 non-European countries
    World News

    Trump administration pauses all immigration applications from 19 non-European countries

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 3, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Trump administration pauses all immigration applications from 19 non-European countries
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Text to Speech Icon

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 3 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by text-to-speech, a technology based on artificial intelligence.

    The Trump administration on Tuesday said it paused all immigration applications, including green card and U.S. citizenship processing, filed by immigrants from 19 non-European countries, citing concerns over national security and public safety.

    The pause applies to people from 19 countries that were already subjected to a partial travel ban in June, placing further restrictions on immigration — a core feature of U.S. President Donald Trump’s political platform.

    The list of countries includes Afghanistan and Somalia.

    The official memorandum outlining the new policy cites the attack on U.S. National Guard members in Washington last week in which an Afghan man has been arrested as a suspect. One member of the National Guard was killed and another was critically wounded in the shooting.

    Trump has also stepped up rhetoric against Somalis in recent days, calling them “garbage” and saying “we don’t want them in our country.”

    About 80,000 Somalis live in Minnesota, mostly in the Twin Cities metro region. Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said the community had been an economic and cultural boon to the area.

    He also said the vast majority of Somalis in the U.S. are American citizens, and that he’s convinced any immigration action would ensnare people in the country legally.

    two men meet and shake hand
    Minneapolis City Council Member Jamal Osman greets a constituent Tuesday amid reports of a planned federal operation targeting Somali immigrants in the city. (Tim Evans/Reuters)

    Trump last month said he was immediately terminating temporary deportation protections for Somalis living in Minnesota, saying “Somali gangs” were terrorizing the state, without offering evidence or details.

    Local officials said Trump’s portrayal is untrue. In all, 705 Somalis are in the country with Temporary Protected Status, according to government records.

    Targeted countries already on U.S. restricted lists

    Since returning to office in January, Trump has aggressively prioritized immigration enforcement, sending federal agents to major U.S. cities and turning away asylum seekers at the U.S.-Mexico border. His administration has frequently highlighted the deportation push but until now it has put less emphasis on efforts to reshape legal immigration.

    The flurry of promised restrictions since the attack on National Guard members suggests an increased focus on legal immigration framed around protecting national security and casting blame on former U.S. president Joe Biden for his policies.

    The list of countries targeted in Wednesday’s memorandum includes Afghanistan, Burma, Chad, the Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Haiti, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, which were subjected to the most severe immigration restrictions in June, including a full suspension on entries with a few exceptions.

    Others on the list of 19 countries, which were subjected to partial restrictions in June, are Burundi, Cuba, Laos, Sierra Leone, Togo, Turkmenistan and Venezuela.

    WATCH | Pausing immigration to the U.S.:

    Trump says he’ll ‘permanently pause’ migration from developing countries

    U.S. President Donald Trump says he will ‘permanently pause migration’ from what he called ‘Third World Countries.’ Trump’s rant follows news that an Afghan national is suspected of shooting two National Guard members in Washington.

    The new policy places a hold on pending applications and mandates that all immigrants from those countries “undergo a thorough re-review process, including a potential interview and, if necessary, a re-interview, to fully assess all national security and public safety threats.”

    The memorandum cited several recent crimes suspected to have been committed by immigrants, including the National Guard attack.

    Sharvari Dalal-Dheini, senior director of government relations for the American Immigration Lawyers Association, said the organization had received reports of cancelled oath ceremonies, naturalization interviews and adjustment of status interviews for individuals from countries listed on the travel ban.

    a woman speaks to a man showing a piece of paper as a masked man looks on
    A person asks a security guard for directions as federal immigration officers wait for respondents to depart from their hearings to conduct targeted detainments at the U.S. Immigration Court in Manhattan Tuesday. (David ‘Dee’ Delgado/Reuters)



    Source link

    Post Views: 45
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    February 16, 2026

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    By Olive MetugeFebruary 16, 2026

    Please note that SCOTUS Outside Opinions constitute the views of outside contributors and do not necessarily reflect…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Bright Osayi-Samuel Reflects on His Professional Journey and Nigeria’s Recent AFCON Run

    February 16, 2026

    Weir has a DNF as course takes its toll

    February 16, 2026

    5 of South Africa’s single industry towns worth visiting

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    February 16, 2026

    Bright Osayi-Samuel Reflects on His Professional Journey and Nigeria’s Recent AFCON Run

    February 16, 2026

    Weir has a DNF as course takes its toll

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.