Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    February 16, 2026

    Bright Osayi-Samuel Reflects on His Professional Journey and Nigeria’s Recent AFCON Run

    February 16, 2026

    Weir has a DNF as course takes its toll

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Hegseth and Pentagon face heat after Signal chat report, briefing on deadly boat strike
    World News

    Hegseth and Pentagon face heat after Signal chat report, briefing on deadly boat strike

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 4, 2025No Comments6 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Hegseth and Pentagon face heat after Signal chat report, briefing on deadly boat strike
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Text to Speech Icon

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 6 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by text-to-speech, a technology based on artificial intelligence.

    The Navy admiral who reportedly issued orders for the U.S. military to fire upon survivors of an attack on an alleged drug boat gave classified briefings to lawmakers overseeing national security on Thursday, with one Democrat who attended a closed-door session expressing deep concern about the information presented.

    “What I saw in that room was one of the most troubling things I’ve seen in my time in public service,” said Connecticut Rep. Jim Himes, the top Democrat on the House’s intelligence committee. “You have two individuals in clear distress without any means of locomotion, with a destroyed vessel, that were killed by the United States.”

    Most of the lawmakers in the briefings, which included senators, declined to comment as they exited.

    Joining Adm. Frank (Mitch) Bradley at the Capitol was Gen. Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, for sessions that came at a potentially crucial moment in the unfolding congressional investigation into how Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth handled the military operation in international waters near Venezuela.

    Lawmakers want a full accounting of the strikes after the Washington Post reported last week that on Sept. 2, Bradley ordered an attack on two survivors to comply with Hegseth’s directive to “kill everybody.” Legal experts say the attack amounts to a crime if the survivors were targeted, and lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are demanding accountability.

    WATCH | Serious questions about legality of any strikes, says ex-State Dept. official:

    CBC speaks to a former adviser to the U.S. Department of State on the strikes on alleged drug boats

    Get the latest on CBCNews.ca, the CBC News App, and CBC News Network for breaking news and analysis.

    The legality of the deadly strikes and treating alleged drug transporters as “enemy combatants” without the authorization of Congress had already been questioned by several legal experts. As well, the head of the U.S. Southern Command — which oversees operations in the Caribbean Sea — unexpectedly announced his resignation in mid-October, well before the end of his term.

    Military officials were aware there were survivors in the water after the initial strike but carried out the follow-on strike under the rationale that they needed to sink the vessel, according to two people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to discuss it publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity.

    Democrats have demanded the Trump administration release the full video of the Sept. 2 attack, as well as written records of the orders and any directives from Hegseth.

    Republicans, who control the national security committees, have not publicly called for those documents, but have pledged a thorough review.

    “The investigation is going to be done by the numbers,” said Republican Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi, who leads the Senate’s armed services committee. “We’ll find out the ground truth.”

    Two cleanshaven men in military uniform are shown.
    U.S. Navy Adm. Frank M. Bradley, left, and Gen. Dan Caine, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, right, are shown before briefing lawmakers on Capitol Hill on Thursday. (Mark Schiefelbein/The Associated Press)

    More than 80 people have been killed in the series of U.S. military strikes and two survivors from a subsequent boat strike were repatriated to their home countries.

    President Donald Trump has stood behind Hegseth as he defends his handling of the attack.

    Hegseth has said the aftermath of an initial strike on the boat was clouded in the “fog of war.” He has also said he “didn’t stick around” for the second strike, but that Bradley “made the right call” and “had complete authority” to do it.

    Hegseth criticized over Houthi strike chat

    Also on Thursday, the Defence Department’s inspector general released a partially redacted report into Hegseth’s use of the Signal messaging app in March to share sensitive information about a military strike against Yemen’s Houthi militants. The report found that Hegseth endangered service members by doing that on his personal phone.

    In at least two separate Signal chats, Hegseth provided the exact timing of warplane launches and when bombs would drop — before the men and women carrying out those attacks on behalf of the United States were airborne.

    Hegseth’s use of the app came to light when a journalist, Jeffrey Goldberg of The Atlantic, was inadvertently added to a Signal text chain by then-national security adviser Mike Waltz, as several high-ranking officials were brought together to discuss March 15 military operations against the Iran-backed Houthis.

    Hegseth had created another Signal chat with 13 people that included his wife and brother where he shared similar details of the same strike, the Associated Press has reported.

    Signal is encrypted but is not authorized for carrying classified information and is not part of the Pentagon’s secure communications network.

    Hegseth previously has said none of the information shared in the chats was classified. Multiple current and former military officials have told the AP that details with that specificity, especially before a strike took place, were not appropriate to share on an unsecured device.

    The revelations sparked intense scrutiny, with Democratic lawmakers and a small number of Republicans saying Hegseth posting the information to the Signal chats before the military jets had reached their targets potentially put those pilots’ lives at risk. They said lower-ranking members of the military would have been fired for such a lapse.

    WATCH | Democrat Jim Hines said troops were put in danger by chat:

    U.S. lucky not to be ‘mourning dead pilots now,’ Democrat says of Signal chat controversy

    Colorado congressman Jim Himes says chat on Houthi airstrikes accidentally leaked to journalist could have easily been intercepted by U.S. rivals.

    The U.S. launched a broad assault against the Houthis, after the militant group launched a series of missile and drone attacks against ships in late 2023 in what their leadership had described as an effort to end Israel’s offensive against Hamas in the Gaza Strip. The Houthi campaign greatly reduced the flow of commercial trade through the Red Sea corridor.

    Following the disclosure of Hegseth’s Signal chat that included the Atlantic’s editor, the magazine released the entire thread in late March. Hegseth had posted multiple details about an impending strike, using military language and laying out when a “strike window” starts, where a “target terrorist” was located, the time elements around the attack and when various weapons and aircraft would be used in the strike.

    A Pentagon spokesperson called the inspector general report a “a TOTAL exoneration of Secretary Hegseth,” an assertion that was slammed by Democratic lawmakers.

    “This was not an isolated lapse. It reflects a broader pattern of recklessness and poor judgment from a secretary who has repeatedly shown he is in over his head,” Sen. Mark Warner of Virginia said in a statement.

    The initial findings of the report were first reported Wednesday by CNN.

    Read the full report:



    Source link

    Post Views: 39
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    February 16, 2026

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    By Olive MetugeFebruary 16, 2026

    Please note that SCOTUS Outside Opinions constitute the views of outside contributors and do not necessarily reflect…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Bright Osayi-Samuel Reflects on His Professional Journey and Nigeria’s Recent AFCON Run

    February 16, 2026

    Weir has a DNF as course takes its toll

    February 16, 2026

    5 of South Africa’s single industry towns worth visiting

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    February 16, 2026

    Bright Osayi-Samuel Reflects on His Professional Journey and Nigeria’s Recent AFCON Run

    February 16, 2026

    Weir has a DNF as course takes its toll

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.