Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Kaizer Chiefs turn attention to Betway Premiership after CAF exit

    February 16, 2026

    Western Cape Refuses To Employ Community Health Workers On A Permanent Basis

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Ukraine prepares new peace plan as Zelensky rules out giving up land
    World News

    Ukraine prepares new peace plan as Zelensky rules out giving up land

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 9, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Ukraine prepares new peace plan as Zelensky rules out giving up land
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Reuters A Ukrainian soldier carrying a gun on patrol in Donetsk Reuters

    While peace talks continue, so does fighting along the front line in eastern Ukraine

    Ukraine is preparing to present a revised peace plan to the White House, as it seeks to avoid making territorial concessions to Russia.

    Kyiv is set to propose alternatives to the US after President Volodymyr Zelensky again ruled out surrendering land, saying he had “no right” to do so under Ukrainian or international law.

    He made the comments as he met European and Nato leaders on Monday, part of a collective push to deter the US from backing a peace deal which includes major concessions for Ukraine, and which allies fear would leave it vulnerable to a future invasion.

    Meanwhile, the city of Sumy in north-western Ukraine was left without power overnight after a Russian drone attack.

    The region’s governor said more than a dozen drones had hit power infrastructure, the latest in Russia’s nightly attacks. No deaths were reported.

    Zelensky’s ongoing diplomatic tour of Europe comes after days of intensive talks between US and Ukrainian negotiators over the weekend, that failed to produce a deal Kyiv could agree to.

    Zelensky was due to be briefed on that private summit on Monday by his chief negotiator Rustem Umerov, who wrote on Telegram that he would feed back details of direct talks between the US and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

    The Ukrainian president told a news conference that his team could send a new proposal to the Americans as soon as Tuesday, AFP news agency reported.

    On the subject of surrendering land, Zelensky said: “Russia is insisting that we give up territories, but we don’t want to cede anything.”

    He continued: “We have no legal right to do so, under Ukrainian law, our constitution and international law. And we don’t have any moral right either.”

    Zelensky has long maintained that any changes to Ukraine’s borders would need to be authorised by a public referendum.

    A map showing front line control in Ukraine

    Elsewhere, he told reporters that the initial 28-point plan proposed by the US – and rejected by Kyiv and European leaders as being too favourable to Russia – had been cut down to 20 points, according to Interfax-Ukraine news agency.

    He said no “pro-Ukrainian” points had been removed from the draft, though there had also been no “compromise” on the subject of territory.

    Zelensky singled out control of the eastern Donbas region and the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant as being among the “most sensitive” issues.

    The original leaked version of the US-backed plan proposed that Ukraine hand over total control of the Donbas to Russia, despite the fact that Kremlin forces have been unable to capture it in full after almost four years of war.

    Energy produced at Zaporizhzhia, the largest nuclear power plant in Europe, would be split between Russia and Ukraine, the draft plan said.

    Leaders in Kyiv and across Europe have indicated there has been progress in refining that draft in recent weeks, and have praised the Trump administration for seeking to mediate an end to the fighting.

    But Monday’s hastily arranged Downing Street summit – attended by Zelensky, UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz – was widely viewed as a show of support for Ukraine as it seeks to resist White House pressure.

    No 10 said there had been an agreement that the US-led talks represented a “critical moment” to ramp up support for Ukraine, and repeated calls for a “just and lasting peace… which includes robust security guarantees”.

    EPA Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelensky, France's President Emmanuel Macron, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and Germany's Chancellor Friedrich Merz on the steps of Downing StreetEPA

    The nature of those future security guarantees are another open question in the negotiations.

    Efforts continue to assemble an international coalition prepared to offer ongoing military support to Kyiv in the event of a peace deal, though it is not yet clear what form that would take.

    While the UK and France have proposed deploying international troops in Ukraine, several key defence players in Europe, including Germany and Italy, have expressed scepticism about that idea.

    It is also not clear to what extent the US would be willing to underpin any future defence arrangements for Ukraine.

    Following talks in London, Zelensky flew to Brussels to meet Nato chief Mark Rutte and EU chief Ursula von der Leyen, and will meet Prime Minister Georgia Meloni in Italy on Tuesday.

    Moscow has also claimed talks with the White House have been constructive, despite little public indication it has moved on any of the goals set out by the Kremlin when it launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022.

    On Sunday, Trump indicated that he viewed Zelensky as the main obstacle to securing a peace deal, something he has made a key foreign policy goal and which the president claimed he would be able to achieve rapidly during the 2024 presidential election campaign.

    He told reporters that Russia was “fine” with the peace plan outlined to both sides by the US, but that he was a “little disappointed that Zelensky hasn’t read it”.

    Almost simultaneously, Zelensky said he was waiting to briefed by Umerov following three days of discussions with his US counterparts in Miami.

    “Some issues can only be discussed in person,” said Zelensky.



    Source link

    Post Views: 43
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026

    What is the dart frog toxin allegedly used to kill Alexei Navalny?

    February 16, 2026

    ‘It was a gift’: French goalie Junca’s birthday was a memorable one despite 10-2 loss to Canadian stars

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Kaizer Chiefs turn attention to Betway Premiership after CAF exit

    By Prudence MakogeFebruary 16, 2026

    Kaizer Chiefs were disappointingly knocked out of the CAF Confederation Cup following a 2-1 defeat…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Western Cape Refuses To Employ Community Health Workers On A Permanent Basis

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026

    Mfonobong Inyang: When Fools Fall In Love

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Kaizer Chiefs turn attention to Betway Premiership after CAF exit

    February 16, 2026

    Western Cape Refuses To Employ Community Health Workers On A Permanent Basis

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.