Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Kaizer Chiefs turn attention to Betway Premiership after CAF exit

    February 16, 2026

    Western Cape Refuses To Employ Community Health Workers On A Permanent Basis

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Armed kidnappings are keeping thousands of Nigerian children out of school
    World News

    Armed kidnappings are keeping thousands of Nigerian children out of school

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 10, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Armed kidnappings are keeping thousands of Nigerian children out of school
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    LISTEN | Full interview with Amnesty International’s Isa Sanusi:

    As It Happens6:25Mass school kidnappings are eroding education in Nigeria, says Amnesty International

    Sending children to school has become too dangerous for many families in Nigeria.

    Over the last decade, it has become almost routine for Nigerian schoolchildren to be abducted en masse from their classrooms and held hostage by armed gunmen. 

    The government has repeatedly vowed to improve security at schools to prevent these kidnappings. But after more than 300 children were taken from a Catholic school in Niger state last month, Amnesty International says parents have lost all faith that things will get better.

    “They are telling us that they are scared, they are afraid, and they are not comfortable with having their children at schools,” Isa Sanusi, the human rights group’s Nigeria director, told As It Happens host Nil Köksal. 

    “Many parents would rather keep their children at home, keep them away from school because they believe that will keep them safer and away from the cold hands of kidnappers.”

    Since last month’s kidnapping, Amnesty says 20,468 schools across seven states in Nigeria have closed their doors indefinitely. 

    The organization doesn’t have a tally of how many children have been pulled out of school this past month. But given that some rural schools pack as many as 100 students into a single classroom, Sanusi says the number is likely “staggering.”

    Even before this latest attack, the United Nations estimated Nigeria has one of the highest numbers of unschooled children in the world at 20 million, partly because parents fear kidnappings.

    100 kids reunited with their families this week  

    On Monday, the government of Nigeria secured the release of 100 students who were abducted from St. Mary’s Catholic School in Papiri village on Nov. 21.

    The kids arrived in armored trucks at the government house in Niger state’s capital Minna before being reunited with their families. 

    The Christian Association of Nigeria says more than 300 students and 12 staff members were taken from St. Mary’s, and 50 managed to escape their captors.

    More than 100 victims are unaccounted for, although the exact number remains unclear. 

    “My directive to our security forces remains that all the students and other abducted Nigerians across the country must be rescued and brought back home safely,” President Bola Tinubu said. “We must account for all the victims.”

    Nigerian children with buzzcuts sit in rows of chairs. Most are staring forward with serious expressions on their faces. Some look off to one side.
    Students from St. Mary’s School sit at the Niger State Government House after being freed from captivity on Monday. (Marvellous Durowaiye/Reuters)

    The St. Mary’s attack was far from an isolated incident. School kidnappings surged over the last decade since Boko Haram militants abducted 276 girls from the eastern town Chibok in 2014.

    Earlier in November, gunmen attacked a government-run girls’ boarding school in Kebbi state, killing the vice-principal and taking 25 students. All but one of the girls are still missing. 

    Activists from the Bring Back Our Girls movement, which emerged after the Chibok kidnappings, estimate that 1,800 Nigerian children have been abducted in the intervening years. 

    The movement’s co-founder, Bukky Shonibare, says these kidnappings are part of a systemic failure spanning more than 11 years. 

    “Abduction of schoolchildren is not yet a national priority in Nigeria,” Shonibare told As It Happens last month. “Until it is a national priority, it will not be backed by real investments, real actions, you know, and real accountability.”

    WATCH | Fallout from latest school kidnappings in Nigeria:

    Nigeria reels from wave of mass kidnappings

    The abduction of 300 students from a school in northern Nigeria is the latest and worst in a series of kidnappings in the country that has led to school closures and accusations of government corruption.

    Nigeria’s government has not disclosed how it got the 100 St. Mary’s children back, but over the years, it has repeatedly denied paying ransom to criminal groups.

    Sanusi, however, says Nigerians don’t believe it. He says gangs and militant groups target schools because it’s a profitable venture. 

    “They will not stop, because they are getting what they want,” he said. 

    Boys go to work, girls get married

    Sanusi says Amnesty has interviewed children who survived these abductions. They live in fear, he says, and show no interest in continuing their studies. 

    “It makes them feel that there is danger associated with seeking education, there is danger associated with going to school,” he said. 

    Thirteen-year-old Stephen Samuel, one of the St. Mary’s children who escaped, told Reuters that even if all the hostages were released, he was not sure life could ever go back to normal.

    “Will we be able to go to school again? Which school will we go to?” he asked. “I am thinking maybe school has ended.”

    Instead, Sanusi says kids are forced to take on adult roles.

    “For boys, they are mostly sent to go and do hard labour to support the family,” he said. “For the girls, they are mostly married underage and sent to live with their new husbands in urban areas and cities where it is safer and away from the hands of kidnappers.”

    A boy in a bright green T-shirt walks by a brown building
    Stephen Samuel, 13, says he doesn’t know if he’ll ever return from school after he escaped his captors. (Reuters)

    The attacks, he says, have largely targeted Nigeria’s rural areas, where people are already struggling to make ends meet.

    The United Nations World Food Programme estimates that 35 million people could go hungry in Nigeria in 2026, with rural farming communities facing the brunt of the economic crisis.

    “So for some parents who are struggling to survive, [pulling their kids from school] comes as a relief for them economically,” Sanusi said. 

    But he says it’s a nasty cycle that perpetuates poverty. 

    “A whole generation of children may end up missing out entirely on education,” he said. “That this is a very serious matter for the future of the children, and the country itself.”



    Source link

    Post Views: 37
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026

    What is the dart frog toxin allegedly used to kill Alexei Navalny?

    February 16, 2026

    ‘It was a gift’: French goalie Junca’s birthday was a memorable one despite 10-2 loss to Canadian stars

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Kaizer Chiefs turn attention to Betway Premiership after CAF exit

    By Prudence MakogeFebruary 16, 2026

    Kaizer Chiefs were disappointingly knocked out of the CAF Confederation Cup following a 2-1 defeat…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Western Cape Refuses To Employ Community Health Workers On A Permanent Basis

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026

    Mfonobong Inyang: When Fools Fall In Love

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Kaizer Chiefs turn attention to Betway Premiership after CAF exit

    February 16, 2026

    Western Cape Refuses To Employ Community Health Workers On A Permanent Basis

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.