Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    The mysterious kidnapping of Shergar, the champion racehorse

    February 16, 2026

    Kaizer Chiefs turn attention to Betway Premiership after CAF exit

    February 16, 2026

    Western Cape Refuses To Employ Community Health Workers On A Permanent Basis

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»U.S. admiral’s abrupt retirement spurs command leadership change in Latin America operations
    World News

    U.S. admiral’s abrupt retirement spurs command leadership change in Latin America operations

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 13, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    U.S. admiral’s abrupt retirement spurs command leadership change in Latin America operations
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Text to Speech Icon

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 5 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

    A U.S. Navy admiral who oversees military operations in Latin America handed off command responsibilities Friday as scrutiny increases over the Trump administration’s deadly strikes on alleged drug boats in the region.

    Admiral Alvin Holsey retired one year into a posting that typically lasts three to four years and transferred leadership duties to his top military deputy, U.S. Air Force Lt.-Gen. Evan Pettus, during a ceremony at U.S. Southern Command headquarters near Miami.

    In farewell remarks, Holsey did not mention military operations in Latin America or the reasons for his early retirement. But he urged his successor to uphold longstanding partnerships in the region by standing firmly behind the shared values of democracy and support for the rule of law.

    “To be a trusted partner, we must be credible, present and engaged,” Holsey said.

    Holsey’s shock retirement was announced by the Pentagon in October, over a month into the Trump administration’s series of strikes on suspected drug boats in the Caribbean Sea and the eastern Pacific Ocean that have killed at least 87 people.

    With the campaign facing growing scrutiny by Congress, Holsey briefed key lawmakers earlier this week.

    The ceremony Friday was more subdued than past retirements, held outdoors amid a small crowd of mostly Southern Command staff and without U.S. Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, because U.S. President Donald Trump has yet to nominate Holsey’s replacement.

    Gen. Dan Caine, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, made no mention of the military operations in Latin America as he thanked Holsey for his 37 years of service. Caine referred to Holsey as a “stoic” leader and “quiet professional” who always leads with his heart and head.

    “It’s never been about you, it’s been about people, it’s been about others,” Caine said. “You’ve never said ‘I’ in all the conversations we’ve had. You’ve always said ‘we.’ … The impact you’ve had will last for a long time.”

    Scrutiny of boat strikes

    Holsey is departing as Congress is scrutinizing the boat attacks, including one that killed two survivors clinging to the wreckage of an initial strike.

    U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Hegseth and other top officials have given classified briefings on Capitol Hill this week.

    WATCH | Lawmakers pressure U.S. administration to release full strike video:

    U.S. lawmakers ramp up pressure to release boat strike video

    The Trump administration is facing new pressure from some Republican lawmakers who are demanding footage of a controversial second strike on an alleged Venezuelan drug boat in the Caribbean be made public.

    Holsey also spoke this week to key lawmakers overseeing the U.S. military by classified video call.

    U.S. Sen. Jack Reed, the top Democrat on the Senate Armed Services Committee, said afterward that Holsey answered senators’ questions but “there are still many questions to be answered.” Reed later added that Holsey did not give a reason for his retirement other than saying it was a personal decision.

    Experts in the rules of warfare, human rights groups and even some of Trump’s allies in Congress have questioned the legality of the attacks on those accused of ferrying drugs. For decades, they were arrested at sea by the Coast Guard and brought to the U.S. for criminal prosecution.

    The 22 known strikes against alleged drug-smuggling vessels are being supported by a giant flotilla of U.S. warships — including its most advanced aircraft carrier — attack helicopters, thousands of troops.

    Trump’s Republican administration has defended its aggressive tactics, designating several drug cartels in Latin America as foreign terrorist organizations and declaring that the U.S. is in armed conflict with those criminal organizations, relying on a legal argument that gained traction after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

    The campaign has ramped up pressure on Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, who has been charged with narcoterrorism in the U.S.

    In a sharp escalation Wednesday, U.S. forces seized a sanctioned oil tanker that the Trump administration has accused of smuggling illicit crude. Sale of that oil on global energy markets is critical to Maduro’s grip on power.

    Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro gestures with a fist
    Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro contends that recent military actions by the U.S. are aimed at pushing him from power. (Federico Parra/AFP/Getty Images)

    Maduro has insisted the real purpose of the U.S. military operations is to force him from office.

    Holsey’s departure is the latest in a long line of sudden retirements and firings among the military’s top ranks since Hegseth took charge of the Pentagon.

    A native of rural Fort Valley, Ga., whose father and several uncles served in Vietnam, Holsey relinquished command to Pettus to a soulful rendition of Midnight Train to Georgia.

    Pettus, a fighter jet pilot with combat experience in Afghanistan and Iraq, had been serving as Holsey’s top deputy since late 2024. However, it’s unclear how long the Arkansas native will remain in the job. Whomever Trump nominates must be confirmed by the Senate.

    WATCH | U.S. ratchets up Venezuela tensions with tanker seizure:

    Trump confirms U.S. seized oil tanker off Venezuela

    The U.S. has seized an oil tanker off the coast of Venezuela, President Donald Trump said on Wednesday, ratcheting up tensions with Caracas.



    Source link

    Post Views: 54
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026

    What is the dart frog toxin allegedly used to kill Alexei Navalny?

    February 16, 2026

    ‘It was a gift’: French goalie Junca’s birthday was a memorable one despite 10-2 loss to Canadian stars

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    The mysterious kidnapping of Shergar, the champion racehorse

    By Ewang JohnsonFebruary 16, 2026

    They were directed to the isolated farmhouse of racehorse breeder Jeremy Maxwell, about 30 miles…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Kaizer Chiefs turn attention to Betway Premiership after CAF exit

    February 16, 2026

    Western Cape Refuses To Employ Community Health Workers On A Permanent Basis

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    The mysterious kidnapping of Shergar, the champion racehorse

    February 16, 2026

    Kaizer Chiefs turn attention to Betway Premiership after CAF exit

    February 16, 2026

    Western Cape Refuses To Employ Community Health Workers On A Permanent Basis

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.