Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    La Baia by the Beach on J1 Dubai has now closed

    February 20, 2026

    Why South Carolina Hospitals Have Reported Few Measles-Related Admissions Despite Growing Outbreak — ProPublica

    February 20, 2026

    Fimi Drops “Superstarr” and Puts Her Dreams on Full Display

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Friday, February 20
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»Sports»Irish giants Munster sign Bok hooker
    Sports

    Irish giants Munster sign Bok hooker

    Prudence MakogeBy Prudence MakogeFebruary 20, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Irish giants Munster sign Bok hooker
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link



    Munster have confirmed the signing of a Springbok hooker on a two-year contract.

    Marnus van der Merwe will leave Welsh club the Scarlets at the end of the season, with the Munster deal subject to a valid work permit being granted.

    The powerful and abrasive 29-year-old marked his Test debut with two tries against Georgia last July. He also featured in key wins over the All Blacks and Wallabies as the Springboks successfully defended their Rugby Championship title.

    In a statement, Van der Merwe said: “I’m excited and honoured to be joining such a prestigious club, with such a proud rugby history. I want to finish the season strong with the Scarlets, before tackling this new challenge with Munster.”

    Munster general manager Ian Costello said: ““We are delighted to have signed a player of Marnus’ calibre ahead of next season and he will add to the strength of our front row.

    “He has been one of the best hookers in the URC over the past two years resulting in a call up to the Springbok squad.

    “He is an physical, abrasive hooker, very strong in the set-piece, excellent over the ball, and now has demonstrated his ability to perform at international level.

    “Marnus is passionate, and extremely ambitious and has the qualities that will make him a really good fit to our playing group. We look forward to welcoming him to Munster this summer.”

    ALSO: Dobbo drafts in AFL expertise for aerial fix

    Hailing from Mpumalanga, Van der Merwe played age-group rugby with the Pumas before making the move to the Cheetahs, where he made his Pro14 debut in 2018.

    After winning the Currie Cup with the Cheetahs in 2023, he joined the Scarlets in 2024 and made an instant impact. His first season in Wales saw him named in the URC Elite XV.

    Van der Merwe’s standout performances were also recognised by Scarlets supporters and he was named their Player of the Year.

    His strong form in 2024-25 earned an international call-up from Rassie Erasmus and he made his first three appearances for the Springboks last year.

    He has earned 38 caps for the Scarlets since his debut in September 2024.

    Read more here: https://t.co/o4uOyknNTo

    — Munster Rugby (@Munsterrugby) February 20, 2026

    Photo: Dan Istitene/Getty Images





    Source link

    Post Views: 23
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prudence Makoge
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Premier League: Crystal Palace manager Oliver Glasner says ‘I’m not good enough’ after recent poor form

    February 20, 2026

    Siphokazi Malinga is Intentional about Shifting the Narrative for Women’s Sport in South Africa

    February 20, 2026

    Lions young gun eager to shine

    February 20, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    La Baia by the Beach on J1 Dubai has now closed

    February 20, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Don't Miss

    La Baia by the Beach on J1 Dubai has now closed

    By Olive MetugeFebruary 20, 2026

    La Baia Dubai may be gone, but there’s something new coming to J1 insteadDubai’s beach…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Why South Carolina Hospitals Have Reported Few Measles-Related Admissions Despite Growing Outbreak — ProPublica

    February 20, 2026

    Fimi Drops “Superstarr” and Puts Her Dreams on Full Display

    February 20, 2026

    Irish giants Munster sign Bok hooker

    February 20, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    La Baia by the Beach on J1 Dubai has now closed

    February 20, 2026

    Why South Carolina Hospitals Have Reported Few Measles-Related Admissions Despite Growing Outbreak — ProPublica

    February 20, 2026

    Fimi Drops “Superstarr” and Puts Her Dreams on Full Display

    February 20, 2026
    Most Popular

    La Baia by the Beach on J1 Dubai has now closed

    February 20, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.