Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Tuesday, May 19
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABS Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLIVE
    ABS Africa TV
    Home»Politics»DCS Defends R726 Cooking Oil Price After Parliament Flags Inflated Food Costs
    Politics

    DCS Defends R726 Cooking Oil Price After Parliament Flags Inflated Food Costs

    Anjianjei ConstantineBy Anjianjei ConstantineMay 18, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    DCS Defends R726 Cooking Oil Price After Parliament Flags Inflated Food Costs
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
    Post Views: 50


    The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) has defended paying R726.57 for cooking oil after Parliament flagged what appeared to be highly inflated food prices within the department’s procurement system.

    The department said the amount referred to a 25-litre container of cooking oil and not a single litre, adding that the confusion resulted from a capturing error.

    – Advertisement –

    The controversy emerged after Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Correctional Services revealed that the state had been paying significantly inflated prices for several food items supplied to correctional facilities.

    Parliament Raises Concerns Over Inflated Food Prices

    According to the committee, DCS paid R3,735.32 for gravy powder that ordinarily costs around R920 in bulk, while cooking oil was initially listed at R726.57 per litre despite an estimated retail value of R29.06.

    The committee said newly negotiated prices would reduce the cooking oil cost to between R26 and R29 for the same quantity.

    It also revealed that the department would save between R2,815 and R2,538 on gravy powder under revised agreements.

    The figures surfaced during a recent committee meeting where officials were questioned about a controversial five-year food supply contract.

    DCS Says Procurement System Previously Had Major Weaknesses

    DCS spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo said the issue centred on Contract H04/2023, which was concluded with 115 service providers responsible for supplying 66 perishable and non-perishable food items across the department’s six regions.

    – Advertisement –

    The contract runs from 1 April 2025 until 31 March 2030.

    “It provides for a negotiated pricing model under which prices remain fixed for the first six months from the date of signature and are thereafter subject to review at six-month intervals,” Nxumalo said.

    He explained that prior to the contract, food procurement was fragmented across regions, with some areas relying heavily on quotation-based procurement systems.

    According to Nxumalo, this resulted in recurring awards to the same suppliers, inconsistent pricing and reduced value for public funds.

    “It also exposed systemic weaknesses that contributed to irregular expenditure of R36.9 million in 2022/23 and R194.7 million in 2023/24, as identified by the Auditor-General of South Africa,” he said.

    DCS Says Cooking Oil Price Was Misinterpreted

    Nxumalo said the department introduced a national procurement framework aimed at standardising pricing and improving transparency.

    He added that the current review process began in May 2025 after internal monitoring identified pricing discrepancies.

    According to Nxumalo, National Commissioner Makgothi Thobakgale received regular oversight reports and the contract was discussed weekly by the National Operations Committee.

    Following concerns over pricing, the Minister of Correctional Services also convened briefing meetings in May and June 2025.

    YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Cyril Ramaphosa Fires Social Development Minister Sisisi Tolashe

    Nxumalo said a directive was issued on 13 May 2025 instructing regions to suspend transactions involving higher-priced items pending review.

    “The Department further clarifies that the cooking oil prices reflected as R726.57 and R697.51 relate to 25-litre containers, not single litres as incorrectly interpreted due to a capturing error,” he said.

    “These prices were, in fact, the result of successful downward negotiations and represent justifiable market-related pricing for the specified quantity.”

    He added that the department renegotiated prices with suppliers using direct market-price benchmarking rather than Consumer Price Index or Producer Price Index formulas.

    Parliament Says Original Prices Should Never Have Been Approved

    Despite the revised prices, Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Correctional Services said the original figures should never have passed procurement controls.

    Committee chairperson Kgomotso Anthea Ramolobeng said the reductions should not be viewed as a success story.

    “The concern is not necessarily the reductions achieved afterwards, but how such inflated figures were initially accepted,” she said.

    “We should be cautious not to celebrate the correction of failures as achievements. If one litre of oil was initially quoted at an amount far above the ordinary market value, reducing that price later cannot be framed as prudent financial management.”

    “Instead, it exposes weaknesses in supply chain management systems and processes,” Ramolobeng added.

    – Advertisement –



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Anjianjei Constantine
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Glynnis Breytenbach Appointed DA Chief Whip In National Assembly

    May 18, 2026

    Thoko Didiza Establishes 31-Member Committee To Revisit Phala Phala Impeachment Process

    May 14, 2026

    Cyril Ramaphosa Fires Social Development Minister Sisisi Tolashe

    May 14, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    ABS TV and ABS Network News is a leading Pan-African 24/7 broadcasting network delivering nonstop news, talk shows, lifestyle programs, and digital media content worldwide through Satellite, Streaming Platforms, and Roku TV.
     
    Based in the United States, we connect Africa to the world while empowering creators, journalists, and brands through innovative media and broadcasting services.
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp Instagram

    Our Picks

    Technology

    Activists challenge 160MW Cape Town data centre project

    Trending

    Tech Trends 2026 | Deloitte Insights

    Culture

    ‘A naive view of regulation of politics in media’ in France, expert says

    Most Popular

    Legal

    Legal Sector Code: Court told it’s a step towards transformation in South Africa’s legal profession

    World News

    Employees sue USDA secretary over ‘increasingly proselytizing’ Christian emails

    Africa News

    Trump administration proposes welcoming thousands more Afrikaners to U.S. as refugees, citing “emergency”

    © 2026 Copyright. All Rights Reserved by ABSAFRICATV
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Services

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.