Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Jacob Zuma Vows Court Battle To Reclaim ANC Membership — Eyes MK And ANC Merger

    February 16, 2026

    ‘It was a gift’: French goalie Junca’s birthday was a memorable one despite 10-2 loss to Canadian stars

    February 16, 2026

    39th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union Concludes in Addis Ababa

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»About 200 soldiers from Nigeria and Ivory Coast deployed for ‘clean-up’
    World News

    About 200 soldiers from Nigeria and Ivory Coast deployed for ‘clean-up’

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 12, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    About 200 soldiers from Nigeria and Ivory Coast deployed for ‘clean-up’
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Some 200 West African soldiers, mainly from Nigeria and Ivory Coast, are in Benin to support the government following Sunday’s failed coup, Benin’s foreign minister says.

    The attempt was foiled after Nigeria deployed fighter jets to drive the mutineers out of a military base and state TV headquarters, where they had declared a takeover.

    This is the first time that officials have said how many foreign soldiers were deployed to the country, although it is not clear if some have been withdrawn since Sunday.

    Benin’s Foreign Affairs Minister Olushegun Adjadi Bakari on Thursday said some of the regional troops sent to help had remained in the country “as part of the sweep and clean-up operation”.

    A manhunt for those involved in the plot is under way, with the leader of the failed coup said to be taking refuge in neighbouring Togo.

    The rebel soldiers justified their actions by criticising President Patrice Talon’s management of the country, complaining first about his handling of the “continuing deterioration of the security situation in northern Benin”.

    The West African regional bloc, Ecowas, deployed troops from Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, and Ivory Coast to secure key installations and prevent any resurgence of the violence.

    Nigeria, Benin’s large neighbour to the east, said its soldiers had reached there on Sunday, describing the coup attempt as a “direct assault on democracy”.

    An Ivory Coast security source told AFP news agency that 50 soldiers from the country had been sent as part of the regional deployment.

    “There are currently around 200 soldiers present, who came to lend a hand at the end of the day to the Beninese defence and security forces as part of the sweep and clean-up operation,” said Bakari, while addressing journalists in Nigeria’s capital, Abuja, on Thursday.

    Bakari, who was speaking alongside Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Minister Yusuf Maitama Tuggar, said that by the time the Beninese forces called for help, the coup “was already a failure”.

    “When we started discussions for the intervention of Nigeria and the others, under Ecowas protocol, our military had already pushed them back,” he added.

    According to Bakari, what was required was “precise aerial back-up to carry out a surgical operation that targeted the enemy’s key positions without risking civilian casualties”.

    Tuggar said that fast diplomatic, military, and intelligence actions between Nigeria and Benin had helped to foil the coup.

    Discussions are continuing over how long the regional forces would remain, but Bakari said any decision “will be taken in close collaboration with Benin’s defence and security forces, who have demonstrated their bravery”.

    It is not clear if the French special forces who also reportedly helped loyalist troops thwart the coup are still in Benin.

    Under intense pressure after a string of successful coups in the region, Ecowas is signalling that it is no longer willing to watch democratically elected governments be toppled by the military.

    Bakari praised Ecowas as “an important tool that allows us to defend democracy and the values of democracy in our regional space”.

    Benin’s army has suffered losses near its northern border with insurgency-hit Niger and Burkina Faso in recent years, as jihadist militants linked to Islamic State and al-Qaeda spread southwards.

    Talon, who is regarded as a close ally of the West, is due to step down next year after completing his second term in office, with elections scheduled for April.



    Source link

    Post Views: 32
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    ‘It was a gift’: French goalie Junca’s birthday was a memorable one despite 10-2 loss to Canadian stars

    February 16, 2026

    A guide to some of the briefs in support of ending birthright citizenship

    February 16, 2026

    Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Jacob Zuma Vows Court Battle To Reclaim ANC Membership — Eyes MK And ANC Merger

    By Anjianjei ConstantineFebruary 16, 2026

    Former president Jacob Zuma has declared he is prepared to take legal action to reclaim…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    ‘It was a gift’: French goalie Junca’s birthday was a memorable one despite 10-2 loss to Canadian stars

    February 16, 2026

    39th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union Concludes in Addis Ababa

    February 16, 2026

    Griquas accept Currie Cup reality

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Jacob Zuma Vows Court Battle To Reclaim ANC Membership — Eyes MK And ANC Merger

    February 16, 2026

    ‘It was a gift’: French goalie Junca’s birthday was a memorable one despite 10-2 loss to Canadian stars

    February 16, 2026

    39th Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union Concludes in Addis Ababa

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Jacob Zuma Vows Court Battle To Reclaim ANC Membership — Eyes MK And ANC Merger

    February 16, 2026

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.