Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Egypt: President El-Sisi Holds Meeting with New Governors and their Deputies

    February 17, 2026

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026

    Luxury Lodges With the Best Waterholes in South Africa

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Tuesday, February 17
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Australian schools shut over asbestos risk in children’s sand
    World News

    Australian schools shut over asbestos risk in children’s sand

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeNovember 14, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Australian schools shut over asbestos risk in children’s sand
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Dozens of schools and preschools across Australia and New Zealand have been fully or partially closed after a warning over asbestos risks in children’s sand.

    A recall notice for the coloured products, which were found to contain traces of tremolite asbestos, was issued by the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) on Wednesday.

    The regulator said there was a “low” risk that the asbestos could become airborne or fine enough for inhalation, but it “may still pose a risk”.

    New Zealand’s Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) has also urged people to stop using the sand and arrange for safe disposal “through licensed professionals”.

    On Friday, at least 15 schools and seven preschools in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) – where Canberra is situated – were fully closed, with six others partially closed as a precaution. There are also reports of a school closure in Queensland.

    In New Zealand, the Ministry of Education said on Friday that five early learning services and two schools would close temporarily while licensed professionals addressed possible asbestos contamination, public broadcast RNZ reported.

    In an earlier statement on Wednesday, MBIE product safety spokesperson Ian Caplin urged those who had bought the products to “act immediately”.

    “Stop using the sand, contain it, secure it in a safe place and arrange for safe disposal through licensed professionals, a list of these is available on the WorkSafe website,” he said.

    The ACCC said tremolite asbestos, a naturally occurring asbestos, had been detected in some samples after laboratory testing.

    But it added that respiratory asbestos had not been detected in any of the samples and the release of respiratory asbestos fibres from the sand was “unlikely” unless it was “processed by mechanical means” such as crushing or pulverising.

    Asbestos becomes dangerous when fibres are breathed in. They can damage the lungs and cause diseases including cancer.

    Importing or exporting asbestos or goods containing asbestos is prohibited under both Australian and New Zealand law.

    The sand products, which are imported from China and sold throughout Australia between 2020 and 2025, are sold by several stationery supply chains, including one of the country’s most popular retailers, Officeworks.

    The products set out in the recall notice are labelled as Kadink Sand (1.3kg), Educational Colours – Rainbow Sand (1.3kg) and Creatistics – Coloured Sand (1kg).

    The BBC has contacted supplier Educational Colours Pty Ltd – which issued the recall – for comment.

    Officeworks said it had stopped selling the Educational Colours products after tests detected the asbestos, according to Australian broadcaster ABC.

    It added that it had obtained an independent health and safety risk assessment which found that “the safety risk associated with these products is negligible”.

    New Zealand’s MBIE said it had been notified that a voluntary recall for two products sold in the country – EC Rainbow Sand (1.3kg) and Creatistics – Coloured Sand (1kg products) – was underway.

    It added that it was taking “precautionary action” while it established the extent of the risk posed by the “potentially contaminated product”.

    Yvette Berry, the ACT’s education minister, said on social media that the products were “used at some of our public schools for sensory play, and arts and crafts”.

    “I understand that this news might be upsetting for families,” she added. “Closing schools will allow testing and remediation to occur as soon as possible”.

    A spokesperson for the state of Victoria confirmed no state schools will close there over the warning, saying they’d been advised “the health risk from the use of these products is low”.

    “As such, there is no indication of a need to close schools or early childhood services at this time,” they added.

    The spokesperson said officials were working “swiftly” to identify schools and early childhood services that may be using the recalled products, and will then support them to follow the remediation advice from relevant authorities.

    In New South Wales, where there have also been no school closures, a safety alert was sent to all public schools to “immediately and safely remove these sand products if they have them”.

    “The health, safety, and wellbeing of students, staff, and the school community is the department’s highest priority,” they added.



    Source link

    Post Views: 49
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    'It's never too late': Savannah Guthrie's new plea for mother's release as FBI analyses glove

    February 17, 2026

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Our favorite SCOTUS quotes – SCOTUSblog

    February 17, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Egypt: President El-Sisi Holds Meeting with New Governors and their Deputies

    By Ewang JohnsonFebruary 17, 2026

    Today, President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi held a meeting with the newly appointed governors and their…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026

    Luxury Lodges With the Best Waterholes in South Africa

    February 17, 2026

    Mobile, fibre growth drive Telkom’s revenue surge

    February 17, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Egypt: President El-Sisi Holds Meeting with New Governors and their Deputies

    February 17, 2026

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026

    Luxury Lodges With the Best Waterholes in South Africa

    February 17, 2026
    Most Popular

    Egypt: President El-Sisi Holds Meeting with New Governors and their Deputies

    February 17, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.