Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Start-up king joins Paratus Rwanda

    February 16, 2026

    A guide to some of the briefs in support of ending birthright citizenship

    February 16, 2026

    Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Ban on gas car sales walked back by EU
    World News

    Ban on gas car sales walked back by EU

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 16, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Ban on gas car sales walked back by EU
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    The EU is scrapping its plan to ban all sales of new combustion-engine cars in a decade, following pressure from big automakers and some member states.

    The European Commission, which proposes regulations for the 27-country bloc, announced  some breathing room that effectively removes the previous hard target — where all new sales had to be zero-emission vehicles — and allows plug-in hybrids, hybrids and even combustion-engine vehicles to continue to be sold beyond 2035. 

    “In practice, 90 per cent of vehicles will be electric,” said European climate commissioner Wopke Hoekstra at a news conference in Strasbourg, France. “For the remaining 10 per cent, we allow flexibility.” 

    The proposal, which still requires approval from member states and the European Parliament, says automakers can make up that 10 per cent through the use of sustainable renewable fuels or using lower-emissions steel made in Europe.

    This is the second adjustment from the Commission for Europe’s auto sector, having already introduced flexibilities on how emissions would be counted earlier this year. 

    This comes as Canada weighs its own electric vehicle future, and the U.S. recommits to gas cars — all while automakers struggle against Chinese EV dominance.

    An electric car charges at a station in France.
    An electric Citroen charges in a country road in Pardies, France. A lack of charging infrastructure in Europe was part of automaker complaints urging that the 2035 all-electric rule be scrapped. (Quentin Top/Hans Lucas/AFP/Getty Images)

    While Hoekstra described this as a “win-win” for all, some critics see it as a distraction from an ambitious plan that would significantly lower Europe’s emissions. 

    “The world is going electric and this will happen with or without Europe,” said Lucien Mathieu, director of the cars program at Transport & Environment, a group of non-governmental organizations. “What Europe risks doing — by clinging to the combustion engine and to the hybrids — is investing in these technologies that will be outdated.”

    Ambition meets pragmatism 

    Other experts see today’s move as a fair compromise, adjusting to current economic pressures for automakers. 

    “I think that the EU is taking a pragmatic approach,” said Joanna Kyriazis, director of policy and strategy at Clean Energy Canada. “All countries with domestic auto sectors are revisiting their policy landscape to figure out what’s possible, what’s reasonable.” 

    “Hundred per cent is always a problematic goal,” said Gil Tal, director of the Electric Vehicle Research Center at University of California, Davis. “Banning gas cars, it may be great all the way to 90 and then very, very, very costly the last 10 per cent.”

    A woman in a red jacket checks out a Chinese-made electric car that's charging at an auto show in Germany.
    Chinese-made EVs, such as from BYD, have been a huge pressure on global automakers. They make up as much as 10 per cent of EV sales in Europe. (Johannes Simon/Getty Images)

    The EV elephant 

    In the months leading up to Tuesday’s proposed tweaks, there had been intense lobbying and pressure campaigns. 

    In a recent letter, six EU leaders called for allowing more fuel-efficient vehicles in order to “pursue our climatic goal in an effective way, while not killing our competitiveness.” A counter argument, signed by a couple hundred members of Europe’s electric vehicle industry, warned that diluting the goal would risk “deeper dependency, lost influence, and falling irreversibly behind.” 

    The under- and overtone of both letters was the elephant in the room: China, the clear global front-runner in electric vehicle production and sales. 

    A Chinese-made EV charges up in a parking garage next to a grey Volkswagen.
    Chinese-made EVs are allowed in Europe, at a lower tariff rate than Canada and the U.S. (Vincent West/Reuters)

    Kyriazis says Chinese-made EVs are low-cost, high quality challengers, but their dominance isn’t complete. While Europe has allowed them to be sold at a lower tariff rate than Canada and the U.S., they account for about 10 per cent of electric car sales. 

    “The fear has been that these EVs are just going to take over and kill domestic industry. And while they are popular vehicles among drivers, they haven’t quite taken over,” Kyriazis said. 

    But others see any slowing down from Europe as an open lane for China. 

    “This is a global race to electric cars,” Mathieu told CBC News from Brussels. “China is currently racing ahead, and Europe will not be able to catch up by investing in the technologies of yesterday.”

    U.S. President Donald Trump raises both hands up as a group claps behind him.
    U.S. President Donald Trump recently announced weaker fuel efficiency standards for gas cars, as a plan to make them cheaper. (Andrew Caballero-Reynolds/AFP/Getty Images)

    Turn signals

    Today’s proposed shift isn’t a complete reversal, unlike U.S. President Donald Trump’s scrapping of EV mandates and tax credits as well as slashing fuel economy standards for gasoline vehicles. But experts say the climbdown will be watched around the world.  

    “It sends a message of mixed signals, a message of hesitation,” Mathieu described, adding that the proposals serve as a compass for EV investment. 

    “We see today that it’s hundreds of billions of euros invested in electric technology … all of those investments can be jeopardized if we change the targets while we’re just starting or in the middle of this transition.”

    To ease tariff and trade pressures, Prime Minister Mark Carney paused Canada’s electric vehicle sales targets, which also demanded all new Canadian car sales be electric by 2035. 

    A row of Hyundai EVs sits in a dealership lot.
    New electric cars are lined up at a Hyundai car dealership in Quebec City in 2024. Prime Minister Mark Carney in September paused Canada’s electric vehicle sales targets, which demanded all new Canadian car sales be electric by 2035. (Jacques Boissinot/The Canadian Press)

    “Canada’s at an inflection point right now,” Kyriazis said, explaining that it can follow the U.S. example or adjust its plans slightly, as the EU is doing. “I’m hoping … we take a similar approach of tweaking the policy to respond to this moment in time, while maintaining a clear market signal and commitment to electrification.” 

    And experts agree that whatever the road looks like to get there, getting off gas cars is worth the bumps along the way. 

    “Decarbonizing the light-duty vehicle sector is the closest thing to a silver bullet we have,” Tal told CBC News. 

    “It’s the one policy, the one technology that actually works, that can make a huge difference.” 



    Source link

    Post Views: 29
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    A guide to some of the briefs in support of ending birthright citizenship

    February 16, 2026

    Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits

    February 16, 2026

    Review: Mamabella

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Start-up king joins Paratus Rwanda

    By Chris AnuFebruary 16, 2026

    Innocent Mutimura. The pan-African telco, Paratus Group, opened its doors in Rwanda recently and is…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    A guide to some of the briefs in support of ending birthright citizenship

    February 16, 2026

    Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits

    February 16, 2026

    Markthaler celebrates 19th birthday on the slopes

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Start-up king joins Paratus Rwanda

    February 16, 2026

    A guide to some of the briefs in support of ending birthright citizenship

    February 16, 2026

    Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Start-up king joins Paratus Rwanda

    February 16, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.