Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    4 places to visit that exist because of wildlife

    February 21, 2026

    Israeli strikes in eastern Lebanon kill 8 Hezbollah members, 2 others: officials

    February 21, 2026

    Maltina Unveils First-Ever Ramadan Light-Up in Kano as Part of 50th Year Activities

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Saturday, February 21
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»Sports»Brok passes Stormers baton to Porthen
    Sports

    Brok passes Stormers baton to Porthen

    Prudence MakogeBy Prudence MakogeMay 7, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Brok passes Stormers baton to Porthen
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link



    Former Junior Springbok skipper Zach Porthen is set to make his Stormers debut against Dragons at Cape Town Stadium on Saturday – with help from the retiring Brok Harris. 

    The 21-year-old Porthen, one of five promising youngsters who recently signed new deals with the Stormers, will deputise for tighthead Sazi Sandi in the Vodacom URC round 17 clash.

    A 2025 Varsity Cup winner with the UCT Ikeys, Porthen made his Currie Cup bow for Western Province off the bench last year, before starting alongside two-time World Cup-winning loosehead prop Steven Kitshoff and fellow Springbok Scarra Ntubeni.

    The Wynberg Boys’ old boy skippered the Junior Boks during the 2024 U20 Rugby Championship in Australia and the World Rugby U20 Championship in Cape Town.

    He replaces Harris, who hurt his knee in the round 16 win against Benetton. The 19-year veteran will say farewell to the fans this week before kick-off.

    Harris’ injury compounds the Stormers’ tighthead prop crisis heading into the playoffs. Frans Malherbe remains sidelined with a back injury, while Neethling Fouche is serving a suspension. Sandi is currently the only available tighthead.

    Speaking to the media Cape Town Stadium on Wednesday, Harris told reporters: “These are challenging times [with the injuries among the props], but we want to help Zach get a taste of senior professional rugby.

    WATCH: Brokkie, a Stormers ‘mens se mens’

    “Neethling is back next week and then Zach will have a game under his belt.”

    Harris, who returned to Cape Town in 2021 after seven years with the Dragons in Wales, has amassed an incredible 433 first-class appearances, including 170 for the Stormers. His distinguished career includes winning the Currie Cup in 2012 and the URC in 2022. 

    “I’ve never had a knee injury before but the moment it happened, I knew it was the end,” the 40-year-old said.

    “I’m fortunate that I’ve rarely been injured and I’m just grateful that I was able to have this career. I don’t regret anything.

    “I was 93 when I left here. When I returned I thought ‘only seven for 100’. Now I’m at 170. I’m very blessed and the past four years have been incredibly nice to be back with the Stormers.”

    The Stormers, in sixth on the log, host last-placed Dragons for the first time in the shadow of Table Mountain. “The Dragons are a team that works hard, has good systems and will not give you anything,” Harris added. 

    “They are a physical team and there is good character among the players. They are a very proud regional team, so we will have to be at our best.”

    Photo: Grant Pitcher/Gallo Images



    Source link

    Post Views: 18
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prudence Makoge
    • Website

    Related Posts

    T20 World Cup: Three games to save Brendon McCullum’s job? No excuses if England fail again in Super 8s

    February 21, 2026

    Business Analyst Mbali Makhubo Builds a Content Creator Legacy in Storytelling

    February 21, 2026

    Scotland wing praises Rassie’s high-risk approach

    February 21, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024

    Tinubu Sacks Five Ministers, Reassigns Ten, Appoints Seven New Ones

    October 23, 2024
    Don't Miss

    4 places to visit that exist because of wildlife

    By Chukwu GodloveFebruary 21, 2026

    Some of Southern Africa’s most visited destinations exist because of their wildlife, writes Miriam Kimvangu.…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Israeli strikes in eastern Lebanon kill 8 Hezbollah members, 2 others: officials

    February 21, 2026

    Maltina Unveils First-Ever Ramadan Light-Up in Kano as Part of 50th Year Activities

    February 21, 2026

    Tech gives traffickers a devastating new weapon

    February 21, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    4 places to visit that exist because of wildlife

    February 21, 2026

    Israeli strikes in eastern Lebanon kill 8 Hezbollah members, 2 others: officials

    February 21, 2026

    Maltina Unveils First-Ever Ramadan Light-Up in Kano as Part of 50th Year Activities

    February 21, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.