Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    AI law still unclear as ownership, data security risks grow

    February 16, 2026

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026

    The mysterious kidnapping of Shergar, the champion racehorse

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Death toll from flooding in Southeast Asia surpasses 1,500, calls to fight deforestation increase
    World News

    Death toll from flooding in Southeast Asia surpasses 1,500, calls to fight deforestation increase

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 5, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Death toll from flooding in Southeast Asia surpasses 1,500, calls to fight deforestation increase
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Text to Speech Icon

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 4 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by text-to-speech, a technology based on artificial intelligence.

    The death toll from last week’s catastrophic floods and landslides in parts of Asia surged past 1,500 on Thursday as rescue teams raced to reach survivors and hundreds of people remained unaccounted for across the region.

    The latest figure came as meteorologists warned of renewed rainfall across parts of Indonesia — including the provinces of North Sumatra, West Sumatra and Aceh — in coming days, sparking fears of further devastation in areas already reeling from deadly floods.

    The tragedy was compounded by warnings that decades of deforestation caused by unchecked development, mining and palm oil plantations may have worsened the devastation. Calls grew for the government to act.

    “We need the government to investigate and fix forest management,” said Rangga Adiputra, a 31-year-old teacher whose home in West Sumatra was swept away. The hills above his village on the outskirts of Padang, Indonesia, had been scarred by illegal logging.

    “We don’t want this costly disaster to happen again.”

    Authorities said 836 people were confirmed dead in Indonesia, 479 in Sri Lanka and 185 in Thailand, as well as three in Malaysia.

    Many villages in Indonesia and Sri Lanka remained buried under mud and debris, with 859 people still unaccounted for in both countries.

    A boy drags a sack through a road flooded with muddy water.
    A survivor drags a sack of salvaged items through the mud at an area affected by flash flood in Aceh Tamiang. (Binsar Bakkara/The Associated Press)

    Thousands reportedly faced severe shortages of food and clean water in cut off areas. The floods and landslides washed away roads and bridges and knocked out telecommunications, leaving many communities inaccessible.

    Indonesian television showed images of huge amounts of felled timber carried downstream in North Sumatra, West Sumatra and Aceh.

    The leading Indonesian environmental group WALHI said that decades of deforestation — driven by mining, palm oil plantations and illegal logging — stripped away natural defences that once absorbed rainfall and stabilized soil.

    “The disaster was not just nature’s fury, it was amplified by decades of deforestation,” said Rianda Purba, an activist with the group. “Deforestation and unchecked development have stripped Sumatra of its resilience.”

    WATCH | Rescue crews scramble:

    Recovery efforts intensify as over 1,300 dead in Southeast Asia floods

    Rescue crews scramble to reach survivors and recover more bodies as the death toll from last week’s disastrous flooding and landslides tipped over 1,300 across Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Thailand. Almost 900 people are still missing.

    The group recorded more than 240,000 hectares of primary forest were lost in 2024 alone, leaving Sumatra’s small river basins dangerously exposed.

    Another environmental group, Global Forest Watch, has said the three flooded provinces have since 2000 lost 19,600 square kilometres of forest, an area larger than the state of New Jersey.

    “Unless restoration begins now, more lives will be lost,” Purba warned.

    Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto pledged policy reforms after visiting flood-hit areas on Monday.

    “We must truly prevent deforestation and forest destruction. Protecting our forests is crucial,” Prabowo said.

    In Batang Toru in North Sumatra, where seven companies operate, hundreds of hectares had been cleared for gold mining and energy projects, leaving slopes exposed and riverbeds choked with sediment. Rivers there were swollen with runoff and timber, while villages were buried or swept away.

    Lawmakers called for the companies’ permits to be revoked.

    Facing public outrage, Environment Minister Hanif Faisol Nurofiq announced an investigation into eight companies suspected of worsening the disaster. He said environmental permits will be reviewed and future assessments must factor in extreme rainfall scenarios.

    “Someone must be held accountable,” he said.

    The latest weather forecasts predict heavy rain and thunderstorms on Friday to Saturday, with saturated soil and swollen rivers leaving communities on edge.

    For Safnida, a 67-year-old survivor, the forecast brings renewed anxiety.

    “We can’t expect life to always be good, right? I’m grateful to be alive while my house collapsed in the floods,” she said, sitting on a thin mat in an elementary school turned evacuation shelter in Padang city on Thursday.

    “At my age, I don’t know if I can still survive,” said Safnida, who goes by a single name like many Indonesians.

    Two people walk down a road flooded with muddy water, carrying objects.
    Survivors walk past the wreckage of a car at an area affected by flash flood in Aceh Tamiang, on Sumatra Island, on Thursday. (Binsar Bakkara/The Associated Press)



    Source link

    Post Views: 45
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026

    What is the dart frog toxin allegedly used to kill Alexei Navalny?

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    AI law still unclear as ownership, data security risks grow

    By Chris AnuFebruary 16, 2026

    Karl Blom, partner at Webber Wentzel. Legal uncertainty around artificial intelligence, intellectual property and data…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026

    The mysterious kidnapping of Shergar, the champion racehorse

    February 16, 2026

    Kaizer Chiefs turn attention to Betway Premiership after CAF exit

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    AI law still unclear as ownership, data security risks grow

    February 16, 2026

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026

    The mysterious kidnapping of Shergar, the champion racehorse

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.