Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026

    Luxury Lodges With the Best Waterholes in South Africa

    February 17, 2026

    Mobile, fibre growth drive Telkom’s revenue surge

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Tuesday, February 17
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»DR Congo and M23 rebels sign framework for peace in Qatar
    World News

    DR Congo and M23 rebels sign framework for peace in Qatar

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeNovember 15, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    DR Congo and M23 rebels sign framework for peace in Qatar
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Rwandan-backed M23 rebels and the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo have signed a framework for peace in the east of the country.

    The ceremony was held in Qatar, which along with the US and the African Union, has been trying to mediate an end to decades of conflict in the resource-rich region.

    Earlier this year, the M23 captured the eastern region’s main cities of Goma and Bukavu. Previous attempts to secure peace have failed.

    The US’s Africa envoy Massad Boulos said the document covered eight protocols and that most still required work. He also acknowledged that prisoner exchanges and ceasefire monitoring had been slower than originally hoped.

    Kinshasa is demanding the withdrawal of Rwandan troops from its territory.

    Kigali says this can happen once the Congo-based FDLR rebel militia is disbanded. It is largely made up of ethnic Hutus linked to the 1994 Rwandan genocide.

    The new framework also addresses humanitarian access, the return of displaced people and protection of the judiciary, Boulous is quoted as saying by the AFP agency.

    It builds on a declaration of principles signed by the two sides in Doha in July, as well as a deal made in the same city last month on the monitoring of an eventual ceasefire.

    Before that, in June, talks between Rwanda and DR Congo brokered by Washington resulted in the signing of a peace deal that was hailed by US President Donald Trump as a “a glorious triumph” but was swiftly violated by the warring parties.

    The M23 is one of the biggest parties in this conflict, but was not directly involved in the US-brokered ceasefire deal. It has always favoured the talks mediated by Qatar, saying they will address “the root causes” of the conflict.

    Decades of conflict escalated in January when M23 rebels seized control of large parts of eastern DR Congo including the regional capital, Goma, the city of Bukavu and two airports.

    Since January, thousands of people have been killed and hundreds of thousands of civilians forced from their homes.

    After the loss of territory, the government in Kinshasa had turned to the US for help, reportedly offering access to critical minerals in exchange for security guarantees. Eastern DR Congo is rich in coltan and other resources vital to the global electronics industries.

    Rwanda denies supporting the M23, despite overwhelming evidence, and insists its military presence in the region is a defensive measure against threats posed by armed groups like the FDLR.



    Source link

    Post Views: 47
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    'It's never too late': Savannah Guthrie's new plea for mother's release as FBI analyses glove

    February 17, 2026

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Our favorite SCOTUS quotes – SCOTUSblog

    February 17, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    By Prudence MakogeFebruary 17, 2026

    Tuks claimed a statement win over defending champions UCT in Pretoria, while there were also…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Luxury Lodges With the Best Waterholes in South Africa

    February 17, 2026

    Mobile, fibre growth drive Telkom’s revenue surge

    February 17, 2026

    'It's never too late': Savannah Guthrie's new plea for mother's release as FBI analyses glove

    February 17, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026

    Luxury Lodges With the Best Waterholes in South Africa

    February 17, 2026

    Mobile, fibre growth drive Telkom’s revenue surge

    February 17, 2026
    Most Popular

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.