Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla and Siphokazi Xuma-Zuma — the two women accused of helping traffic 17 South African men to Russia under the guise of security training — sat quietly at the back of an MK Party (MKP) briefing in Durban on Friday, offering no explanation as the controversy surrounding them deepened.
Their appearance came just days after Zuma-Sambudla’s sister, Nkosazana Zuma-Mncube, publicly alleged that the pair, along with a man known as Blessing Khoza, orchestrated the recruitment of the men, who were later taken to the Russia-Ukraine conflict zone.
– Advertisement –
MKP founder and former president Jacob Zuma, who also attended the briefing, remained silent as the party attempted to distance itself from the alleged mercenary-style recruitment scheme implicating Zuma-Sambudla.
The party further announced that Zuma-Sambudla had resigned as a Member of Parliament with immediate effect.
According to party national chairperson Nathi Nhleko, Zuma-Sambudla has pledged full co-operation with authorities.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: MK MP Allegedly Kidnapped, Forced To Withdraw Cash
“She has handed her resignation from the National Assembly and all public representative responsibilities,” he said. “You want comrade Duduzile to stand up and implicate herself? One cannot comment further when the matter is under investigation.”
Pressed repeatedly on why Zuma-Sambudla was implicated, Nhleko declined to elaborate, insisting the issue was sub judice.
“We must respect the investigation. All we’re saying is that, as the MKP, we were never involved in the Russia-Ukraine matter,” he said.
– Advertisement –
The party’s head of presidency, Magasela Mzobe, echoed this, saying Zuma-Sambudla’s sworn affidavit to police aligned with the MKP’s position.
“In her account, there is nowhere she claims that the MKP was involved,” he said.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Zuma Sambudla Says She Was ‘First Victim’ In Alleged Russia Mercenary Scam

‘I was deceived’ — Zuma-Sambudla’s version
In the affidavit filed this week at Sandton police station, Zuma-Sambudla denied recruiting or knowingly facilitating any illegal scheme. She claimed she had been misled by Khoza, who allegedly presented the programme as legitimate civilian paramilitary training and convinced her he was a South African based in Russia.
Zuma-Sambudla said she even travelled to Russia at her own expense, underwent basic training, and shared the information with relatives upon her return — believing it to be lawful. She later claimed she rushed back to Russia when she realised the men had been taken to a conflict zone.
Mzobe insisted the party accepted her account.
“Comrade Dudu volunteered to resign so she could focus fully on helping families bring their loved ones home. As far as we know, her resignation is not an admission of guilt,” he said.
Families seek answers
Mzobe confirmed that the MKP leadership had met with families of the trafficked men after they approached the party for help.
“It’s true families have contacted us. We will assist with all processes to ensure their loved ones return safely,” he said.
He also dismissed suggestions the MKP would weaponise the scandal ahead of local elections.
“We have no intention of turning this into political ammunition. The MKP has enough material to campaign,” he said.
DA lays criminal charges
Meanwhile, the DA confirmed it has laid criminal charges against Zuma-Sambudla, accusing her of a central role in recruiting and trafficking the young men to Russia.
Despite the mounting pressure and widespread calls for transparency, Zuma-Sambudla and Xuma-Zuma remained silent throughout the Durban briefing — leaving South Africans with more questions than answers.
For More, Follow SurgeZirc SA On Facebook, X, Instagram and Bluesky
– Advertisement –
