Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Why Everyone Is Talking About The Argungu Festival

    February 17, 2026

    Ackerman, Scholtz combine for GOLD at African Champs

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Tuesday, February 17
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Lost pieces performed for first time in 320 years
    World News

    Lost pieces performed for first time in 320 years

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeNovember 17, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Lost pieces performed for first time in 320 years
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Previously unknown organ works by Johann Sebastian Bach have been presented and performed in Germany for the first time in 320 years.

    Germany’s Culture Minister Wolfram Weimer called the discovery of the two pieces a “great moment for the world of music”.

    They first caught the attention of the Peter Wollny, a researcher of the German composer and musician, in 1992 when he was cataloguing Bach manuscripts at the Royal Library of Belgium in Brussels.

    The organ works – the Chaconne in D minor BWV 1178 and Chaconne in G minor BWV 1179 – were undated and unsigned. Mr Wollny spent the next 30 years working to confirm the identity of the pieces.

    They were performed at the St Thomas Church in Leipzig, where Bach is buried and where he worked as a cantor for 27 years.

    The two pieces were played by Dutch organist Ton Koopman, who said he was proud to be able to perform them for the first time in 320 years.

    He said the pieces were “of a very high quality” and would be “a great asset for organists today, as they are also suitable for smaller organs”.

    They are believed to have been composed early in Bach’s career, when he was working as an organ teacher in the town of Arnstadt in Thuringia.

    Mr Wollny, who is now the director of the Bach Archive in Leipzig, said they displayed several characteristics unique to the composer.

    “Stylistically, the works also contain features that can be found in Bach’s works from this period, but not in those of any other composer,” he said.

    They are believed to have been written down in 1705 by one of Bach’s pupils, Salomon Günther John.

    At a presentation of the works, Mr Wollny said he was “99.99% sure that Bach had written the two pieces” and they have now been added to the official catalogue of his works.



    Source link

    Post Views: 47
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Our favorite SCOTUS quotes – SCOTUSblog

    February 17, 2026

    Bad Bunny’s ‘love conquering hate’ message at Super Bowl reiterated by judge sentencing assaulter

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    By Olive MetugeFebruary 17, 2026

    Listen to this articleEstimated 5 minutesThe audio version of this article is generated by AI-based…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Why Everyone Is Talking About The Argungu Festival

    February 17, 2026

    Ackerman, Scholtz combine for GOLD at African Champs

    February 17, 2026

    Short SA trips built around mood, not destination

    February 17, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Why Everyone Is Talking About The Argungu Festival

    February 17, 2026

    Ackerman, Scholtz combine for GOLD at African Champs

    February 17, 2026
    Most Popular

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.