Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Miss Nigeria 2026 Begins with a Beauty & Fashion Fair Celebrating Women “Made of More”

    February 17, 2026

    Egypt: President El-Sisi Holds Meeting with New Governors and their Deputies

    February 17, 2026

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Tuesday, February 17
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Name change petition by suspended and retired judge filed ‘with intent to mislead,’ court says
    World News

    Name change petition by suspended and retired judge filed ‘with intent to mislead,’ court says

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeNovember 13, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Name change petition by suspended and retired judge filed ‘with intent to mislead,’ court says
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    1. Home
    2. Daily News
    3. Name change petition by suspended and retired…

    Judiciary

    Name change petition by suspended and retired judge filed ‘with intent to mislead,’ court says

    By Debra Cassens Weiss

    October 20, 2025, 2:37 pm CDT

    gavels

    A former Minnesota jurist, who retired after being suspended without pay, cannot change his first name to “Judge,” according to a recent court decision. (Image from Shutterstock)

    A Minnesota judge who retired after his suspension cannot change his first name to “Judge,” according to a court decision last week.

    Retired Judge John P. Dehen cannot change his name to “Judge John Peter Dehen” because it would “make the administration of justice a practical mockery,” said Judge Leonardo Castro of Ramsey County in his decision.

    MPR News has the story.

    Dehen filed the petition for a name change in August. Castro said it was filed “in bad faith and with intent to mislead,” according to the MPR story.

    Castro also refused to seal the name change petition.

    Dehen retired from his position from the Tenth Judicial Circuit in Anoka County after his September suspension without pay for nine months for misconduct in two matters. The suspension carried over into a suspension from law practice.

    In one instance of misconduct, Dehen presided over a juvenile court calendar while a passenger in a moving car, the Minnesota Supreme Court said in its suspension order.

    In the other, Dehen twice ordered a court administrator in writs of mandamus to raise his court reporter’s pay, despite a conflict of interest, without giving the administrator a meaningful opportunity to respond.

    His first order required the administrator to pay the court reporter at the highest grade level. The second, issued after an appeals court vacated the first order, required the administrator to pay the court reporter at the midpoint of the salary range.

    The Minnesota Supreme Court recognized that Dehen had a good-faith belief his court reporter was being treated unfairly, but said the way he chose to resolve the dispute was “clearly wrong.”

    MPR was unable to reach Dehen at three listed phone numbers. Two were out of service. MPR left a message at a third and did not hear back.

    The ABA Journal left a message with Dan Rasmus, Dehen’s attorney in the ethics case, but he did not immediately reply to the voicemail. The ABA Journal also tried to contact Dehen using a phone number found online, but it was disconnected.


    Write a letter to the editor, share a story tip or update, or report an error.





    Source link

    Post Views: 33
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    'It's never too late': Savannah Guthrie's new plea for mother's release as FBI analyses glove

    February 17, 2026

    At 41, American Elana Meyers Taylor captures her 1st Olympic monobob title

    February 17, 2026

    Our favorite SCOTUS quotes – SCOTUSblog

    February 17, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Miss Nigeria 2026 Begins with a Beauty & Fashion Fair Celebrating Women “Made of More”

    By Prudence MakogeFebruary 17, 2026

    Something exciting is brewing for 2026, and it begins in Lagos. The Miss Nigeria Organisation…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Egypt: President El-Sisi Holds Meeting with New Governors and their Deputies

    February 17, 2026

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026

    Luxury Lodges With the Best Waterholes in South Africa

    February 17, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Miss Nigeria 2026 Begins with a Beauty & Fashion Fair Celebrating Women “Made of More”

    February 17, 2026

    Egypt: President El-Sisi Holds Meeting with New Governors and their Deputies

    February 17, 2026

    Tuks stun Ikeys, Shimlas hold off Maties

    February 17, 2026
    Most Popular

    Miss Nigeria 2026 Begins with a Beauty & Fashion Fair Celebrating Women “Made of More”

    February 17, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.