Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Icelandic musician Ásgeir on his new free-flowing album 'Julia'

    February 16, 2026

    Keo & Zels: Boks are blueprint for world domination

    February 16, 2026

    Kenya: KCAA Promises Structured Clearing of Backlog Amid Workers Strike

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Netanyahu submits request for a pardon during his ongoing corruption trial
    World News

    Netanyahu submits request for a pardon during his ongoing corruption trial

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeNovember 30, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Netanyahu submits request for a pardon during his ongoing corruption trial
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Text to Speech Icon

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 4 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by text-to-speech, a technology based on artificial intelligence.

    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday asked the country’s president to grant him a pardon from corruption charges — seeking to end a long-running trial that has bitterly divided the nation.

    Netanyahu, who has been at war against the country’s legal system over the charges, said the request would help unify the country at a time of momentous changes in the region. But it immediately triggered denunciations from his opponents, who said it would weaken Israel’s democratic institutions and send a dangerous message that he is above the rule of law.

    In a statement on Sunday, the prime minister’s office said that Netanyahu had submitted a request for a pardon to the legal department of the Office of the President. The president’s office called it an “extraordinary request,” carrying with it “significant implications.”

    Netanyahu is the only sitting prime minister in Israeli history to stand trial, after being charged with fraud, breach of trust and accepting bribes in three separate cases accusing him of exchanging favours with wealthy political supporters. He has not been convicted on any of the charges.

    Netanyahu rejects the allegations and has condemned the case as a witch hunt orchestrated by the media, police and judiciary.

    The request comes weeks after U.S. President Donald Trump urged Israel to pardon Netanyahu. Earlier this month Trump also sent a letter to President Isaac Herzog calling the corruption case “political, unjustified prosecution.”

    In a videotaped statement, Netanyahu said the trial has divided the country and that a pardon would help restore national unity. He also said the requirement that he appear in court three times a week is a distraction that makes it difficult for him to lead the country.

    “The continuation of the trial tears us apart from within, stirs up this division, and deepens rifts. I am sure, like many others in the nation, that an immediate conclusion of the trial would greatly help to lower the flames and promote the broad reconciliation that our country so desperately needs,” he said.

    Netanyahu has taken the stand multiple times over the past year, but the case has been repeatedly delayed as he has dealt with wars and unrest stemming from the Hamas-led attacks of October 2023, and Israel’s military action in Gaza.

    WATCH | Demonstrators gather as Netanyahu trial opens:

    Netanyahu trial opens amid demonstrations

    Protesters and counter-protesters gathered outside a Tel Aviv courthouse as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu arrived for the first day of his corruption trial. Netanyahu’s supporters condemned the ‘false allegations,’ while opponents called for justice.

    Pardon request can’t stop trial: legal experts

    Netanyahu’s pardon request consisted of two documents — a detailed letter signed by his lawyer and a letter signed by himself.

    They’ll be sent to the Ministry of Justice for opinions and will then be transferred to the legal adviser in the president’s office, which will formulate additional opinions for the president.

    Legal experts say the pardon request is not able to stop the trial.

    “It’s impossible,” said Emi Palmor, former director general of the Justice Ministry.

    “You cannot claim that you’re innocent while the trial is going on and come to the president and ask him to intervene,” she said, adding that the only way to stop the trial is to ask the attorney general to withhold the proceedings.

    Netanyahu’s request sparked an immediate response from the opposition and advocacy groups, which urged the president not to give in to his request.

    “You cannot grant him a pardon without an admission of guilt, an expression of remorse and an immediate retirement from political life,” opposition leader Yair Lapid said.

    The Movement for Quality Government in Israel said granting a pardon to a prime minister accused of serious offences of fraud and breach of trust would send a clear message that there are citizens who are above the law.



    Source link

    Post Views: 44
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    Obama clarifies comments on aliens being real, says he saw ‘no evidence’ they’ve made contact

    February 16, 2026

    The future of SEC enforcement authority

    February 16, 2026

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Icelandic musician Ásgeir on his new free-flowing album 'Julia'

    By Ewang JohnsonFebruary 16, 2026

    Iceland’s award-winning Ásgeir rose to fame over the last decade thanks to his stunning falsetto voice…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Keo & Zels: Boks are blueprint for world domination

    February 16, 2026

    Kenya: KCAA Promises Structured Clearing of Backlog Amid Workers Strike

    February 16, 2026

    Global network rankings put just one SA operator on the map

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Icelandic musician Ásgeir on his new free-flowing album 'Julia'

    February 16, 2026

    Keo & Zels: Boks are blueprint for world domination

    February 16, 2026

    Kenya: KCAA Promises Structured Clearing of Backlog Amid Workers Strike

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.