Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    U.S. Secret Service says agents killed man who entered secure perimeter at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

    February 22, 2026

    SEVEN Springboks legends who would start under Rassie Erasmus

    February 22, 2026

    Amy Adams is Oscar-worthy in this fearless drama about alcoholism ★★★★☆

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Sunday, February 22
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»Sports»Outcry from runners after Cape Town Marathon cancelled
    Sports

    Outcry from runners after Cape Town Marathon cancelled

    Prudence MakogeBy Prudence MakogeOctober 19, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Outcry from runners after Cape Town Marathon cancelled
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    In what came as a shock decision on Sunday, the Cape Town Marathon was abruptly called off as a result of wind “safety concerns”.

    According to the official statement, organisers made the decision to cancel the race at 04:45, and communications to all runners went out at 05:00.

    Around 24 000 runners were due to start the race at 06:15, and many were already at the venue or on their way into the city when the cancellation was announced.

    Numerous runners took to social media to suggest that the decision had been taken too hastily, while questioning how an elite international event such as this would rebuild its reputation considering that the Cape is renowned for strong winds.

    WIDESPREAD REACTION TO CANCELLATION OF CAPE TOWN MARATHON

    Official statement

    In an official statement, organisers stated: “Due to severe winds overnight that carried on into the early hours of the morning, the 2025 edition of the Cape Town Marathon unfortunately had to be cancelled at short notice this morning.

    “The decision to cancel was made at 04:45, and communications to all runners went out at 05:00 in the form of direct WhatsApp messages to all participants and a dedicated running club captains’ group, as well as statements on social media platforms and statements sent to local radio stations, event media partners and key stakeholders.

    “Around 24 000 runners were due to start the race at 06:15, and many were already at the venue or on their way into the city when the cancellation was announced.

    “The winds overnight wreaked havoc in the race venue in Green Point, with marquee tents damaged and branding being ripped off fences and scaffolding, prompting emergency meetings of the race organising team in conjunction with the Joint Operations Committee (JOC), which consists of representatives from the City of Cape Town’s Disaster Risk Management and Safety and Security portfolios, as well as medical services and the South African Police Services (SAPS).

    “Cancelling such a huge event is not an easy decision to make, and Clark Gardner, Chief Executive Officer of the Cape Town Marathon, says “The Sanlam Cape Town Marathon is devastated at the cancellation of our very special event.

    “We have worked for months on planning for all scenarios and conditions, but ultimately a bigger force had the final say, and we are so sorry for the situation.

    “We wish to thank our participants, sponsors and stakeholders for their ongoing support and understanding.”

    Speaking on behalf of the JOC shortly after the decision to cancel, Colonel Christo Engelbrecht of the SAPS said, “The route is unsafe, as the wind is constantly gusting in Woodstock, and the infrastructure at the start and finish venue has been compromised.

    “It’s unsafe for runners and pedestrians in that whole area, and that’s why the race has had to be cancelled.

    “It was a collective decision made by the whole team in the Joint Operations Committee.”

    The Mayor of the City of Cape Town, Geordin Hill-Lewis, echoed the thoughts of the organising team.

    “All the runners must be disappointed, as are we all.

    “But I’m grateful to the event organisers for taking a decision with runners’ safety in mind after heavy winds blew down some race infrastructure this morning.

    “The City is committed to hosting events of the highest global standards, and that includes sometimes managing difficult calls like this one.”



    Source link

    Post Views: 169
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prudence Makoge
    • Website

    Related Posts

    SEVEN Springboks legends who would start under Rassie Erasmus

    February 22, 2026

    Gabriela Moodaly-Salgado and Nonhlanhla Mthandi Fire Banyana Banyana into COSAFA Semi-Finals

    February 22, 2026

    Springbok star heading home?

    February 22, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    U.S. Secret Service says agents killed man who entered secure perimeter at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

    February 22, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Don't Miss

    U.S. Secret Service says agents killed man who entered secure perimeter at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

    By Olive MetugeFebruary 22, 2026

    Listen to this articleEstimated 2 minutesThe audio version of this article is generated by AI-based…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    SEVEN Springboks legends who would start under Rassie Erasmus

    February 22, 2026

    Amy Adams is Oscar-worthy in this fearless drama about alcoholism ★★★★☆

    February 22, 2026

    SCOTUStoday for Friday, February 20

    February 22, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    U.S. Secret Service says agents killed man who entered secure perimeter at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

    February 22, 2026

    SEVEN Springboks legends who would start under Rassie Erasmus

    February 22, 2026

    Amy Adams is Oscar-worthy in this fearless drama about alcoholism ★★★★☆

    February 22, 2026
    Most Popular

    U.S. Secret Service says agents killed man who entered secure perimeter at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

    February 22, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.