Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Emirates cancels flights to New York and Newark due to severe weather

    February 22, 2026

    Sarah Nimi: My Motherhood Experience and Managing My Career at the Same Time

    February 22, 2026

    Springbok star heading home?

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Sunday, February 22
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»South Sudan says US visa ban caused by mistaken nationality
    World News

    South Sudan says US visa ban caused by mistaken nationality

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeApril 8, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    South Sudan says US visa ban caused by mistaken nationality
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    South Sudan has criticised the revoking of US visas for all its nationals, saying it was based on an incident involving a citizen of a different African country.

    US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced the visa ban on Saturday, citing South Sudan’s refusal to accept the return of its citizens being removed from the US.

    But South Sudan’s foreign ministry said that a man who was refused entry after being deported from the US was a citizen of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    It added that the individual was “returned to the sending country for further processing”.

    This is the first time the US is targeting all passport holders from a particular country since President Donald Trump returned to the White House in January, having campaigned on an anti-immigration platform, with the promise of “mass deportations”.

    In his statement, Rubio said that the US would also block any arriving citizens of South Sudan, the world’s newest country, at US ports of entry.

    He blamed “the failure of South Sudan’s transitional government to accept the return of its repatriated citizens in a timely manner”.

    “We will be prepared to review these actions when South Sudan is in full cooperation,” he added.

    But in a statement on Monday, South Sudan’s foreign ministry said it “deeply regrets” the blanket measure against all of the country’s citizens based on “an isolated incident involving misrepresentation by an individual who is not a South Sudanese national”.

    It said the man at the centre of the visa row was a Congolese national and he was returned to the US. It added that all supporting evidence was shared with American officials.

    South Sudan’s Information Minister Michael Makuei Lueth told the AP news agency that the US was “attempting to find faults with the tense situation” in the country because no sovereign nation would accept foreign deportees.

    It comes as fears grow that South Sudan may again descend into civil war after the country’s First Vice-President Riek Machar had been placed under house arrest.

    South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir accused Machar of stirring up a new revolt.

    Last month, the US ordered all its non-emergency staff in South Sudan to leave as fighting broke out in one part of the country, threatening a fragile peace deal agreed in 2018 that ended a five-year civil war.

    South Sudanese in the US were previously granted Temporary Protected Status (TPS), which allowed them to remain in the US for a set period of time.

    TPS for South Sudanese in the US had been due to expire by 3 May.



    Source link

    Post Views: 22
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    Emirates cancels flights to New York and Newark due to severe weather

    February 22, 2026

    More than 1,500 Venezuelan political prisoners apply for amnesty

    February 22, 2026

    Trump says U.S. sending hospital ship to Greenland for people ‘not being taken care ‌of there’

    February 22, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Emirates cancels flights to New York and Newark due to severe weather

    February 22, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Don't Miss

    Emirates cancels flights to New York and Newark due to severe weather

    By Olive MetugeFebruary 22, 2026

    Flying to the US? Emirates urges passengers to check flight updates before heading to the…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Sarah Nimi: My Motherhood Experience and Managing My Career at the Same Time

    February 22, 2026

    Springbok star heading home?

    February 22, 2026

    African Energy Chamber to Lead Delegation to Venezuela

    February 22, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Emirates cancels flights to New York and Newark due to severe weather

    February 22, 2026

    Sarah Nimi: My Motherhood Experience and Managing My Career at the Same Time

    February 22, 2026

    Springbok star heading home?

    February 22, 2026
    Most Popular

    Emirates cancels flights to New York and Newark due to severe weather

    February 22, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.