Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Ex-Honduran President Hernández Given Special Treatment After Trump Pardon — ProPublica

    February 21, 2026

    Teniola Aladese in This Red Mini Dress Is Everything We Needed to See Today

    February 21, 2026

    Scotland wing praises Rassie’s high-risk approach

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Saturday, February 21
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»Sports»Stormers brace for big Benetton challenge
    Sports

    Stormers brace for big Benetton challenge

    Prudence MakogeBy Prudence MakogeApril 21, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Stormers brace for big Benetton challenge
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link



    Director of rugby John Dobson expects a vastly improved performance from the Stormers on Saturday evening when a buoyant Benetton outfit visits Cape Town.

    Dobson’s charges face a stern test of their Vodacom URC playoff credentials when they host Benetton at Cape Town Stadium for the first time.

    While the eighth-placed Stormers edged Connacht 34-29 in a try-fest last week, they leaked five tries in a performance that left Dobson more concerned than satisfied.

    Benetton, who are fifth on the standings, dismantled the Lions 42-31 at Ellis Park, guided by flyhalf Jacob Umaga’s 23-point haul. The Italians have beaten the Capetonians twice in Treviso but went down 38-22 at Danie Craven Stadium in 2022-23.

    “Benetton is a big team and will be a more physical challenge than perhaps the multi-phase play of Connacht,” Dobson said.

    “We must speed up our own breakdown ball, it was poor [against Connacht]. Our set pieces were excellent.”

    ALSO: We deserved to lose that game – Dobson

    The Stormers produced flashes of attacking brilliance, including a hat-trick from Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, but defensive lapses and poor discipline almost cost them.

    “To me, it was our worst defensive performance in a couple of seasons,” Dobson added. “We worked hard on our defence, but Connacht had the most line-breaks and metres made in the URC and they exposed us. Our defence out wide was horribly exposed.

    “There were some ‘worldie’ tries, but I don’t think we were at our best. Every time we scored, they got into our 22 and scored. Our exits and discipline must improve.”

    There were positives, though, with tighthead Sazi Sandi and replacement Vernon Matongo stepping up in the absence of senior props Frans Malherbe and Neethling Fouche, while Ali Vermaak won key scrum penalties.

    The 22-year-old Paul de Villiers also made an assured first start in the Stormers No 6 jumper, playing a crucial role in two of Feinberg-Mngomezulu’s three tries and disrupting Connacht’s ball at the breakdown.

    With Deon Fourie sidelined, De Villiers’ high work rate and jackalling will be vital in the run-in.

    “I’m very chuffed with the scrums; it was encouraging,” said Dobson. “Paul was great at six despite the injury to Deon [Fourie]. I’m not too worried about that jersey.”

    Photo: Grant Pitcher/Gallo Images



    Source link

    Post Views: 27
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prudence Makoge
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Scotland wing praises Rassie’s high-risk approach

    February 21, 2026

    Kaizer Chiefs v Stellenbosch FC: Date, Kickoff time, TV channel

    February 21, 2026

    Naledi Aphane Affirming the Power of Excellence and Female Representation in Sport

    February 20, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024

    Ex-Honduran President Hernández Given Special Treatment After Trump Pardon — ProPublica

    February 21, 2026
    Don't Miss

    Ex-Honduran President Hernández Given Special Treatment After Trump Pardon — ProPublica

    By Olive MetugeFebruary 21, 2026

    For months, President Donald Trump has railed against Latin American narcoterrorists flooding the United States…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Teniola Aladese in This Red Mini Dress Is Everything We Needed to See Today

    February 21, 2026

    Scotland wing praises Rassie’s high-risk approach

    February 21, 2026

    Raoul Peck documents the dystopian warnings from '1984'

    February 21, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Ex-Honduran President Hernández Given Special Treatment After Trump Pardon — ProPublica

    February 21, 2026

    Teniola Aladese in This Red Mini Dress Is Everything We Needed to See Today

    February 21, 2026

    Scotland wing praises Rassie’s high-risk approach

    February 21, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.