Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Start-up king joins Paratus Rwanda

    February 16, 2026

    A guide to some of the briefs in support of ending birthright citizenship

    February 16, 2026

    Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Trump sues BBC for defamation over editing of pre-riot speech, seeking up to $10B US
    World News

    Trump sues BBC for defamation over editing of pre-riot speech, seeking up to $10B US

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 16, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Trump sues BBC for defamation over editing of pre-riot speech, seeking up to B US
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Text to Speech Icon

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 4 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

    U.S. President Donald Trump sued the BBC on Monday for defamation over edited clips of a speech that made it appear he directed supporters to storm the U.S. Capitol, opening an international front in his fight against media coverage he deems untrue or unfair.

    Trump accused Britain’s public broadcaster of defaming him by splicing together parts of a Jan. 6, 2021, speech, including one section where he told supporters to march on the Capitol and another where he said “fight like hell.” It omitted a section in which he called for peaceful protest.

    Trump’s lawsuit alleges the BBC defamed him and violated a Florida law that bars deceptive and unfair trade practices. He is seeking $5 billion US in damages for each of the lawsuit’s two counts.

    The BBC has apologized to Trump, admitted an error of judgment and acknowledged that the edit gave the mistaken impression that he had made a direct call for violent action.

    But it has said there is no legal basis to sue.

    Trump, in his lawsuit filed Monday in Miami federal court, said despite its apology the BBC “has made no showing of actual remorse for its wrongdoing nor meaningful institutional changes to prevent future journalistic abuses.”

    The BBC is funded through a mandatory licence fee on all U.K. TV viewers, which lawyers there say could make any payout to Trump politically fraught.

    A spokesman for Trump’s legal team said in a statement the BBC “has a long pattern of deceiving its audience in coverage of President Trump, all in service of its own leftist political agenda.”

    A BBC spokesperson told Reuters earlier on Monday that it had “no further contact from President Trump’s lawyers at this point. Our position remains the same.” The broadcaster did not immediately respond to a request for comment after the lawsuit was filed.

    Facing one of the biggest crises in its 103-year history, the BBC has said it has no plans to rebroadcast the documentary on any of its platforms.

    The dispute over the clip, featured on the BBC’s Panorama documentary show shortly before the 2024 U.S. presidential election, sparked a public relations crisis for the broadcaster, leading to the resignations of its two most senior officials.

    WATCH | High-profile resignations:

    BBC leaders resign over accusations of biased coverage

    The director-general of the BBC, Tim Davie, and the head of its news division, Deborah Turness, have both resigned in a tide of accusations over biased coverage, including decisions around how a documentary edited a speech made by U.S. President Donald Trump on Jan. 6, 2021.

    Trump’s lawyers say the BBC caused him overwhelming reputational and financial harm.

    The documentary drew scrutiny after the leak of a BBC memo by an external standards adviser that raised concerns about how it was edited, part of a wider investigation of political bias at the publicly funded broadcaster.

    The documentary was not broadcast in the United States.

    Trump may have sued in the United States because defamation claims in Britain must be brought within a year of publication, a window that has closed for the Panorama episode.

    To overcome the U.S. Constitution’s legal protections for free speech and the press, Trump will need to prove not only that the edit was false and defamatory but also that the BBC knowingly misled viewers or acted recklessly.

    The broadcaster could argue that the documentary was substantially true and its editing decisions did not create a false impression, legal experts said. It could also claim the program did not damage Trump’s reputation.

    Other media have settled with Trump, including CBS and ABC when Trump sued them following his comeback win in the November 2024 election.

    Trump has filed lawsuits against the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal and a newspaper in Iowa, all three of which have denied wrongdoing.

    The attack on the U.S. Capitol in January 2021 was aimed at blocking Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s presidential win over Trump in the 2020 U.S. election.



    Source link

    Post Views: 28
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    A guide to some of the briefs in support of ending birthright citizenship

    February 16, 2026

    Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits

    February 16, 2026

    Review: Mamabella

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Start-up king joins Paratus Rwanda

    By Chris AnuFebruary 16, 2026

    Innocent Mutimura. The pan-African telco, Paratus Group, opened its doors in Rwanda recently and is…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    A guide to some of the briefs in support of ending birthright citizenship

    February 16, 2026

    Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits

    February 16, 2026

    Markthaler celebrates 19th birthday on the slopes

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Start-up king joins Paratus Rwanda

    February 16, 2026

    A guide to some of the briefs in support of ending birthright citizenship

    February 16, 2026

    Senate GOP aims to reveal companies funding lawsuits

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Start-up king joins Paratus Rwanda

    February 16, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.