Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Tuesday, May 19
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABS Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLIVE
    ABS Africa TV
    Home»World News»Vladimir Putin sets out conditions for Ukraine ceasefire
    World News

    Vladimir Putin sets out conditions for Ukraine ceasefire

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeMarch 13, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Vladimir Putin sets out conditions for Ukraine ceasefire
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
    Post Views: 47


    James Landale

    Reporting fromKyiv, Ukraine

    Russian President Vladimir Putin said he agreed with the idea of a ceasefire in Ukraine, but that “questions” remained about the nature of a truce as he set out a number of tough conditions.

    The Russian president was responding to a plan for a 30-day ceasefire, which Ukraine agreed to earlier this week after talks with the US.

    Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky described Putin’s response to the plan as “manipulative” and called for more sanctions on Russia.

    Meanwhile, the US placed further sanctions on Russian oil, gas and banking sectors.

    Speaking at a news conference in Moscow on Thursday, Putin said of the ceasefire proposal: “The idea is right – and we support it – but there are questions that we need to discuss.”

    A ceasefire should lead to “an enduring peace and remove the root causes of this crisis”, Putin said.

    “We need to negotiate with our American colleagues and partners,” he said. “Maybe I’ll have a call with Donald Trump.”

    Putin added: “It will be good for the Ukrainian side to achieve a 30-day ceasefire.

    “We are in favour of it, but there are nuances.”

    One of the areas of contention is Russia’s Kursk region, Putin said, where Ukraine launched a military incursion last year and captured some territory.

    He claimed Russia was fully back in control of Kursk, and said Ukrainian troops there “have been isolated”.

    “They are trying to leave, but we are in control. Their equipment has been abandoned.”

    “There are two options for Ukrainians in Kursk – surrender or die.”

    Outlining some of his questions over how a ceasefire would work, Putin asked: “How will those 30 days be used? For Ukraine to mobilise? Rearm? Train people? Or none of that? Then a question – how will that be controlled?”

    “Who will give the order to end the fighting? At what cost? Who decides who has broken any possible ceasefire, over 2,000km? All those questions need meticulous work from both sides. Who polices it?”

    Putin “doesn’t say no directly”, Zelensky said in his nightly video address, but “in practice, he’s preparing a rejection”.

    “Putin, of course, is afraid to tell President Trump directly that he wants to continue this war, wants to kill Ukrainians.”

    The Russian leader had set so many pre-conditions “that nothing will work out at all”, Zelensky said.

    After Putin’s remarks and Zelensky’s response, there is now a clear divide between both sides’ positions.

    Ukraine wants a two-stage process: a quick ceasefire and then talks about a longer-term settlement.

    Russia believes you cannot separate the two processes and all the issues should be decided in a single deal. Both sides seem content to argue their differences.

    Ukraine believes it can put pressure on Russia, painting it as a reluctant peacemaker, playing for time. Russia, equally, believes it has a chance now to raise its fundamental concerns, about Nato expansion and Ukraine’s sovereignty.

    But this presents a problem for Donald Trump. He has made it clear he wants a quick result, ending the fighting in days.

    And right now, Putin does not appear to want to play ball.

    Getty Images President Trump wears a blue suit and red tie as he gestures while sat on a chair in the Oval Office at the White HouseGetty Images

    Donald Trump has said he hopes Russia will “do the right thing”

    Speaking at the White House following Putin’s remarks, Trump said he would “love” to meet the Russian leader and that he hoped Russia would “do the right thing” and agree to the proposed 30-day truce.

    “We’d like to see a ceasefire from Russia,” he said.

    Speaking earlier at a meeting in the Oval Office with Nato Secretary General Mark Rutte, Trump told reporters he had already discussed specifics with Ukraine.

    “We’ve been discussing with Ukraine land and pieces of land that would be kept and lost, and all of the other elements of a final agreement,” Trump said.

    “A lot of the details of a final agreement have actually been discussed.”

    On the subject of Ukraine joining the Nato military alliance, Trump said “everybody knows what the answer to that is”.

    The fresh sanctions on Russian oil and gas came as the Trump administration further restricted access to US payment systems, making it harder for other countries to buy Russian oil.

    Meanwhile, Putin met US special envoy Steve Witkoff behind closed doors in Moscow.

    Earlier in the day, Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov rejected the ceasefire proposal put forward by the US.

    On Wednesday, the Kremlin released a video it said showed Putin visiting Russia’s Kursk region, symbolically dressed in military fatigues. Russia later said it recaptured the key town of Sudzha.

    Russia launched a full-scale invasion in February 2022, and now controls about 20% of Ukrainian territory.

    More than 95,000 people fighting for Russia’s military have died in the war.

    Ukraine last updated its casualty figures in December 2024, when President Volodymyr Zelensky acknowledged 43,000 Ukrainian deaths among soldiers and officers. Western analysts believe this figure to be underestimated.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    Father-of-eight killed in San Diego mosque shooting hailed as hero

    May 19, 2026

    Amid deadly Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda, Canada not banning travellers

    May 19, 2026

    Rethinking a Supreme Court principle used to undermine the Voting Rights Act

    May 19, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    ABS TV and ABS Network News is a leading Pan-African 24/7 broadcasting network delivering nonstop news, talk shows, lifestyle programs, and digital media content worldwide through Satellite, Streaming Platforms, and Roku TV.
     
    Based in the United States, we connect Africa to the world while empowering creators, journalists, and brands through innovative media and broadcasting services.
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp Instagram

    Our Picks

    World News

    Father-of-eight killed in San Diego mosque shooting hailed as hero

    Lifestyle

    Ricky Adelayitar, Endurance Grand and More Star in Award-Winning Ghanaian Film “The Fisherman” | Watch Trailer

    Ebola Outbreak in Central Africa Could Last Months, W.H.O. Says – The New York Times

    Most Popular

    Technology

    InterSystems IntelliCare Becomes the First AI-Native EHR to Achieve EU Medical Device Regulation Certification

    Trending

    Most Popular Google Searches – Top 100 (May 2026)

    Legal

    Labour Law Amendment Bill, 2025: proposed reforms now open for public comment

    © 2026 Copyright. All Rights Reserved by ABSAFRICATV
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Services

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.