Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    OPINION: Rural connectivity finally gets its moment

    February 22, 2026

    U.S. Secret Service says agents killed man who entered secure perimeter at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

    February 22, 2026

    SEVEN Springboks legends who would start under Rassie Erasmus

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Sunday, February 22
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»Sports»World Artistic Gymnastics Championships: IOC says ‘no resolution’ to Israel-Indoneisa gymnast row but sport must be ‘safe space’ for athletes
    Sports

    World Artistic Gymnastics Championships: IOC says ‘no resolution’ to Israel-Indoneisa gymnast row but sport must be ‘safe space’ for athletes

    Prudence MakogeBy Prudence MakogeOctober 17, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    World Artistic Gymnastics Championships: IOC says ‘no resolution’ to Israel-Indoneisa gymnast row but sport must be ‘safe space’ for athletes
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    The International Olympic Committee says sport must remain a “safe space” after it found “no resolution” to allow Israel’s athletes to take part in the World Artistic Gymnastics Championships.

    Indonesia said it would not grant visas to the Israel team for the event in Jakarta from 19-25 October because of the country’s military offensive in Gaza.

    The Israeli Gymnastics Federation (IGF) said the decision set a “dangerous precedent” and was critical of the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG).

    A request from the IGF for urgent provisional measures to guarantee Israeli participation, or to move or cancel the event, was rejected by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) earlier this week.

    Any lingering hopes the impasse could be resolved before the event starts on Sunday now look to be over after the IOC issued a lengthy statement, external on Friday.

    The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said it had contacted FIG as well as the government of Indonesia and its Olympic authorities “to help facilitate a solution” but “unfortunately, no resolution has been found”.

    “The IOC very much regrets the situation, especially after the remarkable step towards a peace agreement at the peace summit in Egypt, as witnessed by the president of Indonesia,” the statement said.

    “The IOC executive board will discuss the specific situation of Indonesia – for all stakeholders involved – at its next meeting.

    “Sport must remain a safe space for athletes to fulfil their dreams, and athletes must not be held responsible for political decisions.”

    Indonesia, the world’s most populous Muslim nation, has no formal diplomatic ties with Israel but the IGF says it had been given assurances its delegation would be welcome.

    Among the athletes unable to compete are defending world floor champion Artem Dolgopyat.

    The 28-year-old won Olympic floor gold at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and silver in Paris last year. He is also a two-time European champion.

    The IOC reiterated its position that “eligible athletes, teams and sports officials” must be able to compete in competition “without any form of discrimination from the host country” in accordance with the Olympic charter.

    It added that it was the “direct responsibility” of the hosting country to ensure this “principle is fully respected”.

    Indonesia has cited its long-standing political and diplomatic principles for the decision.

    During the 1962 Asian Games, Indonesia similarly barred Israeli athletes – leading to its exclusion from the 1964 Tokyo Olympics by the IOC.

    Although that ruling was overturned, Indonesia boycotted the Games.

    In March 2023 Indonesia was stripped of its right to host football’s Under-20 World Cup after the governor of Bali, where the draw was due to take place, refused to host the Israel team.

    Six months later, Israel launched its offensive in response to the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which 1,200 people were killed and 251 taken hostage back to Gaza.

    Since then more than 67,000 people have been killed by Israel’s offensive, according to Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry. Its figures are seen as reliable by the United Nations and other international bodies.

    More than nine in 10 residential buildings have been damaged or destroyed, according to the UN.

    Last month the UN commission of inquiry formally declared Israel has committed genocide against Palestinians in Gaza – though Israel rejected this.

    On Monday, 20 living Israeli hostages and hundreds of Palestinian detainees were reunited with their families as part of a ceasefire deal.



    Source link

    Post Views: 97
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prudence Makoge
    • Website

    Related Posts

    SEVEN Springboks legends who would start under Rassie Erasmus

    February 22, 2026

    Gabriela Moodaly-Salgado and Nonhlanhla Mthandi Fire Banyana Banyana into COSAFA Semi-Finals

    February 22, 2026

    Springbok star heading home?

    February 22, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    OPINION: Rural connectivity finally gets its moment

    February 22, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Don't Miss

    OPINION: Rural connectivity finally gets its moment

    By Chris AnuFebruary 22, 2026

    Paul Colmer, executive member of WAPA. After years of planning, trials and technical validation, dynamic…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    U.S. Secret Service says agents killed man who entered secure perimeter at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

    February 22, 2026

    SEVEN Springboks legends who would start under Rassie Erasmus

    February 22, 2026

    Amy Adams is Oscar-worthy in this fearless drama about alcoholism ★★★★☆

    February 22, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    OPINION: Rural connectivity finally gets its moment

    February 22, 2026

    U.S. Secret Service says agents killed man who entered secure perimeter at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago

    February 22, 2026

    SEVEN Springboks legends who would start under Rassie Erasmus

    February 22, 2026
    Most Popular

    OPINION: Rural connectivity finally gets its moment

    February 22, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.