Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Andrew Baker appointed as Capitec CIO

    February 16, 2026

    Must-try new restaurants that have opened in Dubai in 2026

    February 16, 2026

    Bok Women Sevens Set Sights on HSBC SVNS Top Tier after Dominant Performance in Nairobi

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»The Miss Universe drama somehow got worse. Is this the pageant’s breaking point?
    World News

    The Miss Universe drama somehow got worse. Is this the pageant’s breaking point?

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeNovember 27, 2025No Comments6 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    The Miss Universe drama somehow got worse. Is this the pageant’s breaking point?
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Turns out, the chaos of this year’s Miss Universe pageant didn’t end after Mexico’s Fátima Bosch Fernández was crowned the winner last week in a competition marred by bullying, a hospitalization, and allegations of vote rigging.

    Instead, inexplicably, it’s gotten worse.

    “Something was deeply wrong behind the scenes. We felt it. We saw it. We lived it,” Miss Universe Haiti Melissa Queenie Sapini said in a statement released to media Wednesday.

    Sapini’s statement comes amid fresh controversies for the 2025 Miss Universe pageant, which was held in Bangkok and culminated in Bosch being named the winner last Friday.

    At that point, the competition had already been plagued by a Thai organizer’s sharp-tongued scolding of Bosch caught on a livestream, two judges dropping out — with one suggesting that there was an element of vote rigging to the contest — plus a fake drug controversy and a contestant falling off the stage.

    A woman in a feathered costumes walks on  a stage
    Melissa Sapini of Haiti takes part in the National Costume show during the 74th Miss Universe pageant in Bangkok last week. Sapini released a cryptic media message Wednesday about her ‘nightmare’ experience in the pageant. (Athit Perawongmetha/Reuters)

    What is happening in the Miss Universe universe? And can the 74-year-old pageant survive the drama? These questions loom amid the ongoing debate over whether beauty pageants are archaic or empowering. But either way, it appears people are watching.

    Since the winner was announced, at least two contestants have renounced their titles and several others have spoken out about the competition. Miss Jamaica, Gabrielle Henry, who fell off the stage, is still in the hospital.

    Meanwhile, there’s an arrest warrant for the pageant’s co-owner in connection with a fraud case, and now even the organization’s president is reportedly fed up and looking to sell his stake.

    “It’s just that I’m so fed up. I’m so fed up with all the talk,” Miss Universe Organization president Raul Rocha said in an interview Monday with Mexican journalist Adela Micha, and translated in media reports.

    WATCH | Mexico woman crowned Miss Universe in pageant plagued by controversy:

    Mexico crowned Miss Universe in pageant plagued by controversy

    Fátima Bosch Fernández was crowned Miss Universe 2025 on Friday in Bangkok. It was a dramatic victory for Bosch, 25, in a pageant plagued by controversy and chaos.

    Viewership ‘shattered records’

    The Miss Universe Organization recently posted a video saying it “shattered records” this year as the most-viewed Miss Universe in history, with 2.6 billion global views across social media.

    NBC announced Tuesday that Telemundo’s live broadcast in Spanish also set a new record with 2.6 million viewers, make it the most-watched primetime entertainment special on Spanish-language television in 2025.

    “There are very few cultural events where everyone around the world can tune in at the same time, watching the same show across borders,” BBC journalist and global pop culture expert William Lee Adams told BBC’s The Global Story podcast Wednesday.

    People often look at the pageant from a Western point of view, where ratings have declined, Adams said.

    “But the fact is, in other countries, this is one of the few opportunities where they can compete on the same stage with these very rich nations and beat them.”

    A person reads a newspaper
    A person reads a newspaper featuring front page news of Mexico’s Fatima Bosch winning the Miss Universe 2025 title, in Mexico City last Friday. (Marco Ugarte/The Associated Press)

    Contestants renounce titles, speak out

    And now, the drama. First, at least two contestants have renounced their titles since the competition ended: Miss Côte d’Ivoire and Miss Estonia.

    Côte d’Ivoire’s Olivia Yace, who was the fourth runner up and named Miss Universe Africa and Oceania, announced on Instagram Monday that she was giving up her title, “as well as any future affiliation with the Miss Universe Committee.

    “I must remain true to my values,” Yace wrote in the post, adding that her greatest wish is to be a positive role model for younger generations, especially girls.

    Yace said stepping away will mean she can dedicate herself to her goals and values more fully.

    Miss Universe Estonia Brigitta Schaback also announced on Instagram that she was stepping down, saying on Sunday that “my values and work ethics do not align with those of the National Director, Natalie Korneitsik.” 

    Korneitsik is the national director of the Miss Universe Estonia organization. The organization told People magazine there was “no personal conflict involved” and said, without elaborating, that Schaback had made “inappropriate” public comments.

    Schaback has posted several Instagram stories criticizing the pageant, including some that were still visible Wednesday.

    “I never imagined that in 2025 I would have to stand against a platform built to champion women’s rights and empowerment — just to defend those very same rights and equal opportunities,” she wrote.

    An instagram post that says "I never imagined that in 2025 I would have to stand against a platform built to champion women's rights and empowerment — just to defend those very same rights and equal opportunities,"
    A post in Brigitta Schaback’s Instagram stories Wednesday. Schaback announced Sunday she was renouncing her title as Miss Universe Estonia 2025. (@brigittaschaback/Instagram)

    ‘The truth is coming’

    Other contestants have spoken out about their own experiences, including Miss Universe Portugal Camila Vitorino.

    In an Instagram post Tuesday, Vitorino wrote she “no longer feels represented by the principles the Miss Universe organization has chosen to uphold” after claiming organizers implied that women in relationships or with children don’t have a chance of winning.

    There’s also Miss Haiti’s cryptic media statement today, in which she called her experience “a nightmare.”

    “You’ve seen the headlines. But what we went through was far worse. A rigged voting system. Judges with personal relationships with contestants. Blatant favoritism towards certain contestants based on the colour of their skin,” Sapini said.

    No further details about the allegations were provided, but the message ended with “the truth is coming.”

    Five women in gowns pose on a stage
    Finalists pose for the jury during the final round of the 74th Miss Universe Beauty Pageant in Thailand last Friday. (Sakchai Lalit/The Associated Press)

    Drama for views?

    On Wednesday, there was another new chapter to the controverses: an arrest warrant.

    A court in Thailand said that it has issued an arrest warrant for a co-owner of the Miss Universe Organization in connection with a fraud case. Jakkaphong (Anne) Jakrajutatip was charged with fraud, then released on bail in 2023.

    She failed to appear as required in a Bangkok court on Tuesday. Her whereabouts remain unclear. She did not appear at the 74th Miss Universe competition.

    In recounting the “chaos” of the pageant, Miss Ireland Aadya Srivastava told People magazine Monday she believes the organization wanted to create drama for views.

    “I see it as a way to gain views, to gain media attention, which is what they got eventually,” Srivastava said.

    A woman in a gown stands on a stage
    A Thai court issued an arrest warrant Wednesday for Jakkaphong (Anne) Jakrajutatip, a co-owner of the Miss Universe Organization seen at the 2023 pageant in El Salvador, in connection with a fraud case. (Moises Castillo/The Associated Press)





    Source link

    Post Views: 36
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    Must-try new restaurants that have opened in Dubai in 2026

    February 16, 2026

    Italian town holds historic street battle

    February 16, 2026

    Obama clarifies comments on aliens being real, says he saw ‘no evidence’ they’ve made contact

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Andrew Baker appointed as Capitec CIO

    By Chris AnuFebruary 16, 2026

    Capitec CIO Andrew Baker. Capitec has appointed Andrew Baker as chief information officer (CIO). In a…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Must-try new restaurants that have opened in Dubai in 2026

    February 16, 2026

    Bok Women Sevens Set Sights on HSBC SVNS Top Tier after Dominant Performance in Nairobi

    February 16, 2026

    Wildlife encounters you can stumble upon while exploring

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Andrew Baker appointed as Capitec CIO

    February 16, 2026

    Must-try new restaurants that have opened in Dubai in 2026

    February 16, 2026

    Bok Women Sevens Set Sights on HSBC SVNS Top Tier after Dominant Performance in Nairobi

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.