Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Andrew Baker appointed as Capitec CIO

    February 16, 2026

    Must-try new restaurants that have opened in Dubai in 2026

    February 16, 2026

    Bok Women Sevens Set Sights on HSBC SVNS Top Tier after Dominant Performance in Nairobi

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»South Africa’s Cyril Ramaphosa hits back after Donald Trump says US won’t invite it for G20 summit
    World News

    South Africa’s Cyril Ramaphosa hits back after Donald Trump says US won’t invite it for G20 summit

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeNovember 27, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    South Africa’s Cyril Ramaphosa hits back after Donald Trump says US won’t invite it for G20 summit
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa has described as “regrettable” the announcement by US President Donald Trump that South Africa would not be invited to take part in next year’s G20 summit in Florida.

    In a social media post, Trump said South Africa had refused to hand over the G20 presidency to a US embassy representative at last week’s summit in Johannesburg.

    “Therefore, at my direction, South Africa will NOT be receiving an invitation to the 2026 G20, which will be hosted in the Great City of Miami, Florida next year.”

    Members of the G20 – a gathering of the world’s biggest economies – do not need an invite but can possibly be barred through visa restrictions.

    Trump boycotted the Johannesburg summit because of a widely discredited claim that South Africa’s white minority is the victim of large-scale killings and land grabs.

    Ramaphosa said in a statement that the US had been expected to participate in the G20 meetings, “but unfortunately, it elected not to attend the G20 Leaders Summit in Johannesburg out of its own volition”. He however noted that some US businesses and civil society entities were present.

    He said that since the US delegation was not there, “instruments of the G20 Presidency were duly handover to a US Embassy official at the Headquarters of South Africa’s Department of International Relations and Cooperation”.

    The low-key handover appears to have further angered Trump, who has been critical of the South African government’s domestic and foreign policies.

    He has in the past claimed that a white genocide was taking place in South Africa, and on Wednesday he said the government was “killing white people and randomly allowing their farms to be taken from them”.

    The South African government has consistently rejected such claims as widely discredited and lacking reliable evidence.

    Ramaphosa said it was regrettable that despite efforts to reset relations with the US, Trump continued “to apply punitive measures against South Africa based on misinformation and distortions about our country”.

    In the Truth Social post on Wednesday, Trump said South Africa had “demonstrated to the world they were not a country worthy of membership anywhere” and announced a stop to “all payments and subsidies to them, effective immediately”.

    South African officials have called for solidarity and urged other G20 members to defend the integrity of the gathering and the rights of all its member states.

    The G20 summit, which was for the first time held in Africa, ended with a joint declaration committing to “multilateral co-operation” on climate change mitigation and economic inequality.

    The declaration was adopted despite objections from the US, which has accused South Africa of weaponising its leadership of the group this year.

    Additional reporting by Pumza Fihlani in Johannesburg



    Source link

    Post Views: 51
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    Must-try new restaurants that have opened in Dubai in 2026

    February 16, 2026

    Italian town holds historic street battle

    February 16, 2026

    Obama clarifies comments on aliens being real, says he saw ‘no evidence’ they’ve made contact

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Andrew Baker appointed as Capitec CIO

    By Chris AnuFebruary 16, 2026

    Capitec CIO Andrew Baker. Capitec has appointed Andrew Baker as chief information officer (CIO). In a…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Must-try new restaurants that have opened in Dubai in 2026

    February 16, 2026

    Bok Women Sevens Set Sights on HSBC SVNS Top Tier after Dominant Performance in Nairobi

    February 16, 2026

    Wildlife encounters you can stumble upon while exploring

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Andrew Baker appointed as Capitec CIO

    February 16, 2026

    Must-try new restaurants that have opened in Dubai in 2026

    February 16, 2026

    Bok Women Sevens Set Sights on HSBC SVNS Top Tier after Dominant Performance in Nairobi

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.