Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    AI law still unclear as ownership, data security risks grow

    February 16, 2026

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026

    The mysterious kidnapping of Shergar, the champion racehorse

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Benin coup attempt to oust President Talon foiled by loyalist troops, minister says
    World News

    Benin coup attempt to oust President Talon foiled by loyalist troops, minister says

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 7, 2025No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Benin coup attempt to oust President Talon foiled by loyalist troops, minister says
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Paul Njie,

    Thomas Naadi,

    Chiagozie Nwonwu,BBC Africa reportersand

    Lucy Fleming

    BTV Screengrab of soldiers talking on national TV in Benin. They are in fatigues, some with guns.BTV

    The soldiers appeared on state TV early on Sunday morning to say they were suspending the constitution

    The government of Benin says it has foiled an attempted coup by members of the West African nation’s armed forces.

    “The Beninese armed forces and their leadership, true to their oath, remained committed to the republic,” Interior Minister Alassane Seidou said in a televised address several hours after a group of soldiers made a broadcast in which they said they had ousted President Patrice Talon.

    A presidential adviser later told the BBC the president was in a safe location.

    However, the situation in Cotonou, Benin’s largest city and the seat of the country’s government, remains unclear as huge explosions were heard in the late afternoon – thought to have been the result of an air strike.

    Prior to the explosions, flight-tracking data shows that three aircraft entered Benin’s airspace from neighbouring Nigeria.

    Two have since returned to the Nigerian city of Lagos and a third appears to be heading towards an airbase in Kanji in western Nigeria. At one stage, two of the aircraft were flying side by side, which analysts suggest indicates they were military planes.

    At the time, a French air force plane was maintaining a circular pattern over Cotonou. French diplomats have denied earlier reports that Talon had taken refuge at France’s embassy in Cotonou.

    There have been a series of coups in West Africa before Sunday’s thwarted attempt in Benin, heightening fears that the security of the region could worsen.

    Benin, a former French colony, has been regarded as one of Africa’s more stable democracies. But Talon has faced accusations of suppressing criticism of his policies.

    The nation is one of the continent’s largest cotton producers, but ranks among the world’s poorest countries.

    Nigeria, Benin’s large neighbour to the east, has described the coup attempt as a “direct assault on democracy”.

    Seidou said in his address that “a small group of soldiers launched a mutiny aimed at destabilising the state and its institutions”, adding that loyalist soldiers had been able “to retain control of the situation and foil the attempt”.

    Fourteen people have been arrested in connection with the attempted coup, government spokesperson Wilfried Leandre Houngbedji told news agency Reuters.

    A journalist in Benin told the BBC that, of those reportedly arrested, 12 are believed to have stormed the offices of the national TV station – including a soldier who had previously been sacked.

    Eyewitnesses told the BBC that, early on Sunday morning, gunfire was heard near the presidential residence. They also said some journalists working for the state broadcaster had been held hostage for a few hours.

    The French and Russian embassies urged their citizens to remain indoors, while the US embassy’s advice was to stay away from Cotonou, especially the area around the presidential compound.

    The rebel soldiers, led by Lt Col Pascal Tigri, justified their actions by criticising Talon’s management of the country, complaining first about his handling of the “continuing deterioration of the security situation in northern Benin”.

    Benin’s army has suffered loses near its northern border with insurgency-hit Niger and Burkina Faso in recent years, as jihadist militants linked to Islamic State and al-Qaeda spread southwards.

    The soldier’s statement cited “the ignorance and neglect of the situation of our brothers in arms who have fallen at the front and, above all, that of their families, abandoned to their sad fate by Mr Patrice Talon’s policies”.

    The rebels also hit out at cuts in health care, including the cancellation of state-funded kidney dialysis, and taxes rises, as well as curbs on political activities.

    Talon, 67, who is regarded as a close ally of the West, is due to step down next year after completing his second term in office, with elections scheduled for April.

    A businessman known as the “king of cotton”, he first came to power in 2016. He promised not to seek a third term, despite Benin’s current two-term limit for presidencies, and has endorsed Finance Minister Romuald Wadagni as his successor.

    Talon has been praised by his supporters for overseeing economic development, but his government has also been criticised for suppressing dissenting voices.

    In October, Benin’s electoral commission barred the main opposition candidate from standing on the grounds that he did not have enough sponsors.

    Last month, constitutional amendments were passed by MPs, including the creation of a second parliamentary chamber, the Senate.

    Terms for elected officials were extended from five to seven years, but the presidential two-term limit remained in place.

    AFP Beninese President Patrice Talon attends a joint press conference in Cotonou on July 27, 2022,AFP

    President Patrice Talon, a businessman known as the “king of cotton”, has said he intends step down next year after two terms in office

    Sunday’s attempted coup comes just over a week after Guinea-Bissau’s President Umaro Sissoco Embaló was overthrown – though some regional figures have questioned whether this was staged.

    In recent years, West Africa has also seen coups in Burkina Faso, Guinea, Mali and Niger, prompting concerns about the region’s stability.

    Russia has strengthened its ties with these Sahel countries over recent years – and Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger have left the West African regional bloc Ecowas to form their own group, the Alliance of Sahel States.

    News of the attempted takeover in Benin was hailed by several pro-Russian social media accounts, according to BBC Monitoring.

    Ecowas and the African Union (AU) have condemned the coup attempt.

    AU Commission chair Mahmoud Ali Yousouf reiterated the pan-African organisation’s “zero tolerance stance toward any unconstitutional change of government, regardless of context or justification”.

    You may also be interested in:

    Getty Images/BBC A woman looking at her mobile phone and the graphic BBC News AfricaGetty Images/BBC



    Source link

    Post Views: 39
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026

    Dubai’s fitness scene just got a Lucky upgrade

    February 16, 2026

    What is the dart frog toxin allegedly used to kill Alexei Navalny?

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    AI law still unclear as ownership, data security risks grow

    By Chris AnuFebruary 16, 2026

    Karl Blom, partner at Webber Wentzel. Legal uncertainty around artificial intelligence, intellectual property and data…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026

    The mysterious kidnapping of Shergar, the champion racehorse

    February 16, 2026

    Kaizer Chiefs turn attention to Betway Premiership after CAF exit

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    AI law still unclear as ownership, data security risks grow

    February 16, 2026

    Goldman Sachs top lawyer resigns after emails show Jeffrey Epstein friendship

    February 16, 2026

    The mysterious kidnapping of Shergar, the champion racehorse

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.