Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Anjianjei Constantine
EFF leader Julius Malema claims he is being targeted for his political beliefs as he prepares to return to court for pre-sentencing next month, following his conviction for breaching South Africa’s gun laws.Malema was earlier this year found guilty over a 2018 incident in which he fired a firearm during an EFF rally in the Eastern Cape. The case, which has drawn widespread attention, will continue at the East London Magistrates’ Court.- Advertisement – YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Patrice Motsepe Surges Ahead In Surprise Poll As ANC Succession Race IntensifiesThe EFF leader insists the ruling is part of a broader…
Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) Velenkosini Hlabisa says identifying a suitable date for the upcoming local government elections has proven unexpectedly challenging, with each of the three eligible months presenting its own set of problems.As the minister responsible, Hlabisa holds the authority to set the election date, acting in consultation with the Electoral Commission (IEC) and the Presidency.- Advertisement – Since local government elections must take place within 90 days of the previous polls on 1 November 2021, the next election window spans from 2 November 2026 to 30 January 2027.YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: South Africa Reaffirms…
Justice Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi has confirmed that her department received a letter from the Democratic Alliance’s legal representatives seeking to halt the scheduled interviews for the next National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP).The interviews aim to identify a candidate to replace Advocate Shamila Batohi, whose term ends next month. A panel convened by the minister is conducting the interviews over two days as the selection process moves forward.- Advertisement – Kubayi, who chairs the panel, dismissed the DA’s threat as baseless. She said the party’s letter—received on Tuesday—is “misguided” and lacks any legal foundation.DA Objection Over Menzi Simelani’s EligibilityThe DA…
The South African government has doubled down on its refusal to play any role in what it describes as efforts to depopulate Gaza. Officials stressed that the country will not become a tool in the unfolding geopolitical tensions in the Middle East.Minister in the Presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni addressed the issue during a media briefing in Pretoria on Wednesday, making the government’s stance clear and unwavering.- Advertisement – YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: IPID Launches Investigation After Woman Found Dead In Upington Police Holding CellThis comes as thousands of Palestinians have reportedly fled Gaza in recent weeks, seeking safety as violence intensifies…
The Pretoria High Court has rejected the uMkhonto weSizwe (MK) Party’s urgent application challenging the suspension of Police Minister Senzo Mchunu, along with its bid to halt the establishment of the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry.Despite the party’s arguments that President Cyril Ramaphosa acted unlawfully in removing Mchunu from office, the court found no grounds to support its claims.- Advertisement – Judges Find No Constitutional ViolationAccording to the judgment, the court ruled that the MK Party failed to prove any infringement of constitutional rights.Mchunu was suspended in July after allegations linked him to organised crime. Professor Firoz Cachalia was appointed as…
The decision to appoint Brumelda Zuma—one of former president Jacob Zuma’s lesser-known daughters—to replace Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla in parliament has prompted fresh debate within the Umkhonto Wesizwe Party (MKP).Several party leaders, who spoke anonymously as they are not authorised to brief the media, warned that internal factions might exploit the move to sow division. Despite this, they voiced support for Brumelda’s deployment as an MP.- Advertisement – Political analysts, however, argued that the MKP could have opted for members with established political experience rather than turning to another Zuma family member.Brumelda steps into the role following Duduzile Zuma-Sambudla’s resignation from all…
ANC national chairperson Gwede Mantashe has firmly dismissed speculation that he could enter the race for the party’s highest office, insisting age and retirement plans rule him out.Speaking on the sidelines of the ANC’s national executive committee (NEC) meeting at Birchwood Hotel on the East Rand, he said he would not be part of the succession contest.- Advertisement – “People will put their names in their heads. They want to be elected. But that is premature at this point in time,” he said.“The time for that will come, and I can tell you, I’m not going to be available. I’m…
ANC spokesperson Mahlengi Bhengu has dismissed claims that the party’s financial collapse signals corruption, arguing instead that it highlights the organisation’s lack of resources.Speaking on Tuesday on the sidelines of the ANC National General Council (NGC) in Boksburg, Bhengu said the party’s deteriorating books were evidence that it was not misusing state funds.- Advertisement – “If the ANC was a corrupt party, not individuals, the ANC as an organisation, we would not be poor,” she told journalists. “We would be tapping into the resources of the state as a governing party. But we can’t, because it would be fraud. It…
ANC Eastern Cape chairperson Oscar Mabuyane is refusing to commit to whether he will contest for the party’s deputy president position, insisting the discussion remains premature. He also pushed back against claims that the ANC must rely on senior national figures to win back support in key metros.Speaking to reporters about the ANC’s national general council, Mabuyane stressed that his immediate focus is securing a third term as provincial chair — a race he plans to approach “with muscles flexed” at next year’s provincial conference.- Advertisement – “The discussion is all out. Everybody is discussing a unit of the ANC.…
African National Congress (ANC) President Cyril Ramaphosa has sharply criticised the party’s ongoing failure to implement its own policies, calling it a “disease” that continues to undermine its effectiveness in government.YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Oscar Mabuyane Downplays Deputy President Bid While Chasing Third TermRamaphosa delivered the remarks during the ANC’s 5th National General Council (NGC), currently taking place at the Birchwood Hotel in Boksburg, where delegates have gathered for a midterm review of the organisation’s progress since the last elective conference.- Advertisement – The NGC serves as a key diagnostic platform, assessing whether the party’s policies, leadership choices and government…