Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Democrats ask Supreme Court not to disrupt New York redistricting dispute

    February 20, 2026

    Kasper Schmeichel: Keeper in spotlight after night of gloom for Celtic

    February 20, 2026

    United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) SRSG Meets with the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Permanent Observer and the Chair of the ECOWAS Group at the United Nations on the Renewal of the UNOWAS Mandate

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Friday, February 20
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»Health»Limpopo family and community blame Mogoto clinic for teen footballer’s death
    Health

    Limpopo family and community blame Mogoto clinic for teen footballer’s death

    Njih FavourBy Njih FavourMarch 4, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Limpopo family and community blame Mogoto clinic for teen footballer’s death
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    The family of 16-year-old Katlego Ledwaba and members of his local football club at Mogoto village in Zebediela, Limpopo are blaming nurses at Mogoto clinic for his recent untimely death.  

    On the afternoon of February 12, the teenager complained of shortness of breath during practice with his teammates in the Zebediela Black Pirates football club at their grounds. 

    Katlego’s family say his death could have been prevented. (Photo: supplied)

    At around five pm, he collapsed and lost consciousness, according to fellow players and the family. 

     “My grandson was taken to Mogoto clinic, just a stone’s throw from the football field by teammates and officials in their vehicle. They also sent word to the family and we immediately sent a relative to go and join them at the clinic,” Florence Ledwaba, Katlego’s grandmother, tells Health-e News. 

    Refused care

    Donald Motaung, chairperson of Zebediela Black Pirates FC says when they got to the clinic the nurses refused to examine Katlego who was unconscious at this point. Instead, they emphasised the clinic had already closed for the day.

    “I then called an ambulance while our guys drove Katlego back to the playground to wait for an ambulance. The ambulance arrived around 6pm and paramedics attended to him on the spot. Sadly they told us he was no more, he had passed on. We then called the police and they came, and later the forensic pathology service personnel also came and collected his body.

    “It was really a traumatic scene, we had never experienced something as terrible as this in our football club before,” Motaung recalls.

    He believes that, as trained professionals, the nurses should have administered first aid to save Katlego’s life.  

    Florence agrees.  

    “We all know death is an eventuality but leaving a person unconscious at a clinic without even touching him is quite unimaginable, especially if you are a health professional.

    “We are eagerly awaiting post-mortem results to know the cause of his death.”

    Neil Shikwambana, spokesperson for the Limpopo Department of Health confirms that investigations into the incident are underway.

    ‘Department must take responsibility’

    Lucky Phologolo, a community activist, says the circumstances surrounding Katlego’s death are a shame.

    “Whatever the reasons, the Limpopo Department of Health should take responsibility. Nurses and security guards should come out and tell the family and the community the circumstances which led to the footballer not getting medical attention,” he says.

    Subscribe to our newsletter

    “Now the department officials are promising us that Mogoto clinic will offer 24-hour services soon. This is a good thing but why wait for something terrible to happen before the 24/7 services are implemented.” 

    According to sources, the provincial department will implement 24-hour services at Mogoto clinic and extend working days to Sundays before the end of March.

    Waiting for answers

    A source tells Health-e News that department officials “are also contemplating meeting the affected family to formally offer condolences when they share the post-mortem results at a date not yet determined”.  

    Department spokesperson Neil Shikwambana says while the clinic isn’t currently operating 24 hours a day, the matter will still be investigated. 

    “The department will comment thoroughly on the issue once all statements are gathered and there is a report, even at the preliminary stage.” – Health-e News





    Source link

    Post Views: 51
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Njih Favour
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Russell Rensburg | Consolidate the funding of South Africa’s district health system: why reform can’t wait • Spotlight

    February 19, 2026

    Spotlight launches new TB dashboard • Spotlight

    February 17, 2026

    Western Cape Refuses To Employ Community Health Workers On A Permanent Basis

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Democrats ask Supreme Court not to disrupt New York redistricting dispute

    February 20, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Don't Miss

    Democrats ask Supreme Court not to disrupt New York redistricting dispute

    By Olive MetugeFebruary 20, 2026

    Two separate groups of New York voters and elected officials on Thursday afternoon urged the…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Kasper Schmeichel: Keeper in spotlight after night of gloom for Celtic

    February 20, 2026

    United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) SRSG Meets with the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Permanent Observer and the Chair of the ECOWAS Group at the United Nations on the Renewal of the UNOWAS Mandate

    February 20, 2026

    West Africa: NPHC West Africa, the Divine Nine, Black Greek Life – Heritage Tourism Impact in Ghana

    February 20, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Democrats ask Supreme Court not to disrupt New York redistricting dispute

    February 20, 2026

    Kasper Schmeichel: Keeper in spotlight after night of gloom for Celtic

    February 20, 2026

    United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) SRSG Meets with the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Permanent Observer and the Chair of the ECOWAS Group at the United Nations on the Renewal of the UNOWAS Mandate

    February 20, 2026
    Most Popular

    Democrats ask Supreme Court not to disrupt New York redistricting dispute

    February 20, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.