Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Vivo launches X300 flagship series in SA with 200MP Zeiss cameras

    February 16, 2026

    What is the dart frog toxin allegedly used to kill Alexei Navalny?

    February 16, 2026

    Celina Sattelkau Triumphs over Testing Conditions to Make it Two-from-Two on Sunshine Ladies Tour

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Monday, February 16
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»World News»Rwanda-backed M23 rebels say they’ve seized strategic city of Uvira in east Congo
    World News

    Rwanda-backed M23 rebels say they’ve seized strategic city of Uvira in east Congo

    Olive MetugeBy Olive MetugeDecember 10, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Rwanda-backed M23 rebels say they’ve seized strategic city of Uvira in east Congo
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    Text to Speech Icon

    Listen to this article

    Estimated 3 minutes

    The audio version of this article is generated by text-to-speech, a technology based on artificial intelligence.

    Rwanda-backed rebel group M23 said that it’s taken control of the strategic city of Uvira in eastern Congo on Wednesday afternoon, following a rapid offensive since the start of the month.

    The announcement, made on X by M23 spokesperson Lawrence Kanyuka, encouraged citizens to return to their homes. Uvira is an important port city on the northern tip of Lake Tanganyika and is directly across from Burundi’s largest city, Bujumbura.

    Congolese authorities didn’t immediately comment on whether M23 had taken the city.

    M23’s latest offensive comes despite a U.S.-mediated peace agreement signed last week by the Congolese and Rwandan presidents in Washington. The accord didn’t include the rebels, who are negotiating separately with Congo and agreed earlier this year to a ceasefire that both sides accuse the other of violating. But it obliges Rwanda to halt support for armed groups and work to end hostilities.

    Residents of Uvira reported a chaotic night where Congolese army troops fled, and gunfire was reported throughout the city.

    More than 100 armed groups are vying for a foothold in mineral-rich eastern Congo near the border with Rwanda, most prominently the M23 group. The conflict has created one of the world’s most significant humanitarian crises, with more than seven million people displaced, officials say.

    Last week, residents said the fighting had intensified in South Kivu, despite the deal signed in Washington, D.C., with U.S. President Donald Trump in attendance.

    Local UN partners report that more than 200,000 people have been displaced across the province since Dec. 2, with more than 70 killed. Civilians also have crossed into Burundi, and there have been reports of shells falling in the town of Rugombo, on the Burundian side of the border, raising concerns about the conflict spilling over into Burundi.

    A Congolese government source told Reuters the military would not react to the advance, in order to protect civilians.

    The rebels in Congo are supported by about 4,000 troops from neighbouring Rwanda, according to UN experts, and at times have vowed to march as far as Congo’s capital, Kinshasa, about 1,600 kilometres to the east.

    Earlier this year, M23 seized Goma and Bukavu, two key cities in eastern Congo, in a major escalation of the yearslong conflict.

    On Monday, Reuters reported that M23 had captured Luvungi, a town that had stood as the front line since February, and that fierce fighting was ongoing near Sange and Kiliba, villages further along the road toward Uvira from the north.

    The U.S. and nine other members of the International Contact Group (ICG) for the Great Lakes voiced “profound concern” on Tuesday over the renewed clashes in South Kivu province, where Uvira is located, warning that the violence could destabilize the wider region.

    Burundi’s foreign minister, Edouard Bizimana, told Radio France Internationale on Wednesday that his country had registered more than 30,000 refugees from Congo in the past three days.



    Source link

    Post Views: 33
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Olive Metuge

    Related Posts

    What is the dart frog toxin allegedly used to kill Alexei Navalny?

    February 16, 2026

    ‘It was a gift’: French goalie Junca’s birthday was a memorable one despite 10-2 loss to Canadian stars

    February 16, 2026

    A guide to some of the briefs in support of ending birthright citizenship

    February 16, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Who is Duma Boko, Botswana’s new President?

    November 6, 2024

    Kamto Not Qualified for 2025 Presidential Elections on Technicality Reasons, Despite Declaration of Candidacy

    January 18, 2025

    As African Leaders Gather in Addis Ababa to Pick a New Chairperson, They are Reminded That it is Time For a Leadership That Represents True Pan-Africanism

    January 19, 2025

    BREAKING NEWS: Tapang Ivo Files Federal Lawsuit Against Nsahlai Law Firm for Defamation, Seeks $100K in Damages

    March 14, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Vivo launches X300 flagship series in SA with 200MP Zeiss cameras

    By Chris AnuFebruary 16, 2026

    Vivo South Africa has officially announced the global launch of its latest X-series flagships: the…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    What is the dart frog toxin allegedly used to kill Alexei Navalny?

    February 16, 2026

    Celina Sattelkau Triumphs over Testing Conditions to Make it Two-from-Two on Sunshine Ladies Tour

    February 16, 2026

    3 places to go for rainy season wildlife experiences

    February 16, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Vivo launches X300 flagship series in SA with 200MP Zeiss cameras

    February 16, 2026

    What is the dart frog toxin allegedly used to kill Alexei Navalny?

    February 16, 2026

    Celina Sattelkau Triumphs over Testing Conditions to Make it Two-from-Two on Sunshine Ladies Tour

    February 16, 2026
    Most Popular

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Vivo launches X300 flagship series in SA with 200MP Zeiss cameras

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.