Carlü Sadie has dismissed suggestions that Saturday’s Investec Champions Cup final will be a battle between Bordeaux Bègles’ attack and Leinster’s Jacques Nienaber-inspired defence.
Bordeaux have scored 45 tries in seven matches this season – the most in the tournament – at an average of 6.1.
Leinster, meanwhile, have conceded just 13 tries in their seven matches, an average of 1.8.
AFRICA PICKS: Champions Cup final betting preview
“I think finals are always more complex than that,” Sadie told News24 from Bilbao. “Finals usually come down to small moments, discipline, set-piece and composure under pressure, not just one team attacking and the other defending.”
The fact that the South African tighthead prop is starting for the defending champions in the showpiece event is nothing short of a miracle.
ALSO: ‘Outstanding’ Sadie looms large for Leinster
Fourteen months ago, Sadie was fighting for his career after suffering a serious neck injury against Lyon. Specialists later told him he had been just 2mm away from death or paralysis.
Now, after a remarkable recovery, the 29-year-old will play in his first European final and has also moved a step closer to Springbok honours after being invited to the recent alignment camp for overseas-based players.
KEO: Bordeaux prop Sadie the big Springbok winner
“It’s honestly hard to put into words,” Sadie said. “A year ago I was in a completely different space mentally and physically, just hoping I’d be able to play rugby again one day.
“There were moments where I genuinely didn’t know if my career would continue. So to now be preparing for a final at this level is something I’m incredibly grateful for.”
Photo: Nick Elliott/INPHO
