Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Showmax ‘can’t continue’ in its current form

    February 21, 2026

    Watching tariffs come down – SCOTUSblog

    February 21, 2026

    Kaizer Chiefs v Stellenbosch FC: Date, Kickoff time, TV channel

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Saturday, February 21
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABSA Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLive
    ABSA Africa TV
    Home»Sports»Setback for players in brain injury claim
    Sports

    Setback for players in brain injury claim

    Prudence MakogeBy Prudence MakogeDecember 23, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Setback for players in brain injury claim
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link



    Hundreds of former rugby players pursuing legal action over alleged brain injuries have suffered a significant setback.

    The case involves a mix of professional and amateur players who allege they sustained long-term neurological damage during their careers. The claims are directed at World Rugby, the Welsh Rugby Union, England’s Rugby Football Union, the Rugby Football League and the British Amateur Rugby League Association.

    The players argue the governing bodies breached their duty of care by failing to protect them from repeated head impacts. They claim they are now living with conditions including early-onset dementia, Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy and motor neurone disease.

    All of the governing bodies deny wrongdoing and are defending the claims.

    MORE: Ex-internationals take World Rugby to court over head injuries

    At a hearing last month, lawyers acting for the players appealed against case management orders relating to the disclosure of medical records. Failure to comply with those orders could result in claims being dismissed.

    In written submissions, lawyer Susan Rodway described one of the orders as “disproportionate and oppressive, irrational and perverse”, arguing that obtaining full medical records for hundreds of claimants was an unreasonable burden.

    However, in a 71-page judgment delivered on Monday, Justice Dexter Dias rejected the appeals.

    He ruled that it was “well within the generous margin of discretion” for the previous judge to make the orders, adding that he could not accept that the decision was unreasonable or perverse.

    Justice Dias also expressed concern about the handling of the disclosure process, saying there had been “a serious erosion of the confidence the court could safely place” in how it had been conducted.

    Addressing claims that the disclosure process was unworkable, the judge said the task had been exaggerated, noting that where medical evidence no longer exists, affidavits can simply explain that. He added that extensions could be requested where difficulties are beyond a claimant’s control.

    Law firm Rylands Garth, which represents the former players, said it welcomed the judge’s clarification on disclosure requirements, stating it had already provided hundreds of thousands of pages of documents.

    In a joint statement, World Rugby, the RFU and WRU said the dismissal of the appeal meant many claims were now at risk of being struck out, while reiterating that player welfare remains a central priority.

    – AFP

    Photo: Piaras Ó Mídheach/Sportsfile via Getty Images



    Source link

    Post Views: 40
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prudence Makoge
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Kaizer Chiefs v Stellenbosch FC: Date, Kickoff time, TV channel

    February 21, 2026

    Naledi Aphane Affirming the Power of Excellence and Female Representation in Sport

    February 20, 2026

    Irish giants Munster sign Bok hooker

    February 20, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    Showmax ‘can’t continue’ in its current form

    February 21, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024

    Ritual Goes Wrong: Man Dies After Father, Native Doctor Put Him in CoffinBy

    October 23, 2024
    Don't Miss

    Showmax ‘can’t continue’ in its current form

    By Chris AnuFebruary 21, 2026

    MultiChoice Group CEO David Mignot has confirmed major changes are coming to the loss-making Showmax…

    Your Poster Your Poster

    Watching tariffs come down – SCOTUSblog

    February 21, 2026

    Kaizer Chiefs v Stellenbosch FC: Date, Kickoff time, TV channel

    February 21, 2026

    11 of the Winter Olympics’ most striking images

    February 21, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Sign up and get the latest breaking ABS Africa news before others get it.

    About Us
    About Us

    ABS TV, the first pan-African news channel broadcasting 24/7 from the diaspora, is a groundbreaking platform that bridges Africa with the rest of the world.

    We're accepting new partnerships right now.

    Address: 9894 Bissonette St, Houston TX. USA, 77036
    Contact: +1346-504-3666

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Showmax ‘can’t continue’ in its current form

    February 21, 2026

    Watching tariffs come down – SCOTUSblog

    February 21, 2026

    Kaizer Chiefs v Stellenbosch FC: Date, Kickoff time, TV channel

    February 21, 2026
    Most Popular

    Showmax ‘can’t continue’ in its current form

    February 21, 2026

    Did Paul Biya Actually Return to Cameroon on Monday? The Suspicion Behind the Footage

    October 23, 2024

    Surrender 1.9B CFA and Get Your D.O’: Pirates Tell Cameroon Gov’t

    October 23, 2024
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest YouTube
    • About Us
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    © 2026 Absa Africa TV. All right reserved by absafricatv.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.