Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Friday, August 21
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABS Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Trending
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Features
    • Technology
    • Sports
    • Politics
    • More
      • Culture
      • Lifestyle
      • Travel
      • Business
      • Environment
      • Legal
      • Health
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • AfroSingles
      • Environ/Climate
      • Editorial
      • The Leak Magazine
    • Donate
    Subscription
    ABS Africa TV
    Home»Features»More than 100 dead after goldmine collapses in Central African Republic
    Features

    More than 100 dead after goldmine collapses in Central African Republic

    Billy JohnsonBy Billy JohnsonAugust 20, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The collapse was caused by a landslide, while local officials say the death toll is likely to rise as recovery efforts continue

    More than 100 people have died after an artisanal goldmine at a small village in western Central <a href="https://absafricatv.com/central-african-republic-gold-mine-collapse-kills-100/” title=”Central African Republic Gold Mine Collapse Kills 100+”>African Republic (CAR) caved in due to a landslide, local officials and aid workers said on Wednesday.

    The landslide happened on Tuesday afternoon in the village of Zamboye, about 50km (31 miles) from the town of Baboua and close to the border of Cameroon. Footage on social media appeared to show an avalanche of sand descend on a group of people, likely the miners, and cover them.

    A statement by a local public prosecutor said many others were trapped under the deluge. It did not mention the number of fatalities. However, Gervais Ganagoroh, a Red Cross volunteer involved in the relief effort, told the Associated Press news agency on Wednesday that more than 100 bodies had been recovered from the collapse and ⁠a senior official at a local mining association confirmed that number to Reuters.

    Local media in CAR reported that authorities had launched an investigation into the incident. A second prosecutor from Baboua told the press that the incident is believed to have been caused by “the collapse of several underground tunnels in which miners were operating”.

    “The ground completely collapsed and buried people,” Cedric Mbango, a miner at the site, told the AFP news agency, describing the incident as “catastrophic”.

    Rescuers are racing to retrieve the bodies of victims and find survivors among the miners, believed to be nationals of CAR and Cameroon. Authorities in Cameroon’s Eastern region said at least three of its citizens have been identified as victims in the incident.

    GrégoireMvongo, the region’s governor told state-owned radio on Wednesday that he was “working in close collaboration with our Central African colleagues to deal with the aftermath of this tragedy”.

    Bertrand Be Yangué, a member of the Zamboye youth council, said that “finding them alive would be a miracle.” He added: “We are saddened and heartbroken to see young men and women perish after coming to the mines to save their families from despair.”

    The toll is expected to rise as the rescue efforts continue, added Yangué.

    The Central African news website Corbeau News reported that heavy machinery, including tractors, was being used in the retrieval mission and could jeopardise the rescue of those still alive under the landmass.

    The exact number of people who were in the mine at the time of the cave-in remains unknown.

    Small scale artisanal mines are common in different parts of Africa, despite regulations criminalising them, as unemployment continues to drive able-bodied men to abandoned or unused mines, to eke a living. The mining sites often operate with weak safety standards leading to repeated incidents: at least 40 people have died in several mining incidents in CAR this year alone.

    Explore more on these topicsReuse this content

    Post Views: 11

    After Dead goldmine More than
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Billy Johnson
    • Website

    Related Posts

    South Africa name squad for historic Zimbabwe tour

    August 20, 2026

    South Africa launches ETA to attract more international tourists

    August 19, 2026

    West African countries pledge stronger response to epidemics

    August 19, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Search
    Latest Post

    Canada Issues Updated Travel Warnings for Tanzania,…

    August 20, 2026

    Don’t take USA seriously as its influence is on decline: Mufti

    August 20, 2026

    Without action wildfires in Europe will increase 39% even in best

    August 20, 2026

    More than 100 dead after goldmine collapses in Central African Republic

    August 20, 2026

    Central African Republic Gold Mine Collapse Kills 100+

    August 20, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    ABS TV and ABS Network News is a leading Pan-African 24/7 broadcasting network delivering nonstop news, talk shows, lifestyle programs, and digital media content worldwide through Satellite, Streaming Platforms, and Roku TV.
     
    Based in the United States, we connect Africa to the world while empowering creators, journalists, and brands through innovative media and broadcasting services.
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp Instagram

    Our Picks

    Travel

    Canada Issues Updated Travel Warnings for Tanzania,…

    World News

    Don’t take USA seriously as its influence is on decline: Mufti

    Without action wildfires in Europe will increase 39% even in best

    Most Popular

    More than 100 dead after goldmine collapses in Central African Republic

    Trending

    Central African Republic Gold Mine Collapse Kills 100+

    Breaking News

    Readers As Chorus

    © 2026 Copyright. All Rights Reserved by ABSAFRICATV
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Services

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.