Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Thursday, May 21
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABS Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLIVE
    ABS Africa TV
    Home»Politics»Outrage As Limpopo Pupils Left Hungry And Stranded At National School Sports Championships
    Politics

    Outrage As Limpopo Pupils Left Hungry And Stranded At National School Sports Championships

    Anjianjei ConstantineBy Anjianjei ConstantineApril 11, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Outrage As Limpopo Pupils Left Hungry And Stranded At National School Sports Championships
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
    Post Views: 87


    The South African Democratic Teachers’ Union (Sadtu) has slammed the shocking treatment of Limpopo pupils during the 2025 National Schools Sports Championships (NSSC) Autumn Games, held in Bloemfontein from April 2 to 7.

    Sadtu alleges that learners from the province arrived in the Free State without being provided with basic necessities like meals or refreshments. To make matters worse, no accommodation had been arranged for them, leaving pupils to sleep in buses exposed to cold and uncomfortable conditions.

    – Advertisement –

    YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Dali Mpofu Faces LPC Disciplinary Inquiry Over Alleged Misconduct and Courtroom Outbursts

    Outrage As Limpopo Pupils Left Hungry And Stranded At National School Sports Championships-SurgeZirc SA
    Outrage As Limpopo Pupils Left Hungry And Stranded At National School Sports Championships

    “Adding insult to injury, as a last-minute measure, the learners were eventually booked accommodation in Kimberley, Northern Cape, more than 160km away,” said Sadtu Limpopo secretary Sowell Tjebane. “Consequently, the team had to be withdrawn from the games.”

    Sadtu Says This Isn’t the First Time Pupils Are Ill Treated

    According to Tjebane, this is not an isolated incident. The union cited similar past events where Limpopo pupils suffered due to poor planning and alleged incompetence by officials responsible for coordinating provincial participation.

    “In a previous instance, the team was withdrawn from the games in Mbombela in Mpumalanga because, upon arrival, they found that no accommodation had been arranged and they had to sleep in buses. In another instance, primary school learners were given oversized attire,” he explained. “It is no wonder that none of them won under such deplorable conditions.”

    Outrage As Limpopo Pupils Left Hungry And Stranded At National School Sports Championships-SurgeZirc SA
    Outrage As Limpopo Pupils Left Hungry And Stranded At National School Sports Championships

    Tjebane called the recurring mishandling of Limpopo teams “barbaric” and unacceptable. “Incompetence at any level must never be tolerated. The union expects consequence management to be implemented swiftly to stop this rot from festering further and putting the lives of teachers and learners in danger.”

    Government Responds as Minister Promises Transparency

    The backlash has reached national level, prompting a response from sport, arts and culture minister Gayton McKenzie, who confirmed the learners’ poor treatment and vowed to investigate.

    “It’s sadly true that learners were not given food. I’m absolutely livid,” McKenzie said in a statement posted on X. “I will have answers. Provisions for meals and accommodation is standard at these events. We will make public the amount that was given for food and accommodation.”

    – Advertisement –

    YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: National Assembly Approves Budget Despite Fierce Opposition And Legal Concerns

    Sadtu is demanding a full investigation from the Department of Education and warned that the union will not hesitate to act if no accountability is taken.

    “If the department fails to address these challenges, the union is left with no choice but to exercise our rights on this matter. Our members must remain combat-ready for a clarion call to be issued soon,” Tjebane warned.


    For SA Entertainment News Follow SurgeZirc SA on Facebook,  X and Instagram

    – Advertisement –





    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Anjianjei Constantine
    • Website

    Related Posts

    EFF And Godongwana Clash Over Legality Of Fuel Levy Increase

    May 21, 2026

    MK Party Removes Nhlamulo Ndhlela As National Spokesperson

    May 19, 2026

    Glynnis Breytenbach Appointed DA Chief Whip In National Assembly

    May 18, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    ABS TV and ABS Network News is a leading Pan-African 24/7 broadcasting network delivering nonstop news, talk shows, lifestyle programs, and digital media content worldwide through Satellite, Streaming Platforms, and Roku TV.
     
    Based in the United States, we connect Africa to the world while empowering creators, journalists, and brands through innovative media and broadcasting services.
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp Instagram

    Our Picks

    Travel

    Autumn on a plate: Discover Piketberg’s farm-to-table flavours

    Sports

    From Ikageng Streets to ICC Recognition: The Rise of Nthabiseng Nini

    Trending

    EDITORIAL: Japan joining growing global trend of declining democracy

    Most Popular

    Culture

    ‘French Banksy’ JR starts wrapping Paris’s Pont Neuf bridge in inflatable ‘cave’

    World News

    DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak

    Africa News

    Nigeria’s NCC Seeks Stakeholder Feedback on New MVNO Regulatory Framework

    © 2026 Copyright. All Rights Reserved by ABSAFRICATV
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Services

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.