Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Saturday, August 22
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABS Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Trending
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Features
    • Technology
    • Sports
    • Politics
    • More
      • Culture
      • Lifestyle
      • Travel
      • Business
      • Environment
      • Legal
      • Health
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • AfroSingles
      • Environ/Climate
      • Editorial
      • The Leak Magazine
    • Donate
    Subscription
    ABS Africa TV
    Home»Trending»Equatorial Guinea and Gabon resolve 50-year border dispute
    Trending

    Equatorial Guinea and Gabon resolve 50-year border dispute

    Anjianjei ConstantineBy Anjianjei ConstantineJuly 29, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Equatorial Guinea and Gabon resolve 50-year border dispute
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Equatorial Guinea

    Gabon and Equatorial Guinea signed an agreement on Tuesday ending a decades-long dispute over three tiny islands in potentially oil-rich waters after the top UN court backed Malabo.

    The two west African nations had been squabbling over the 30-hectare island of Mbanie and two smaller low-lying islets, Cocotiers and Conga, since the early 1970s.

    In May last year, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague, which rules in disputes between states, found in favour of Equatorial Guinea.

    At a ceremony at the African Union’s headquarters in Addis Ababa, Equatorial Guinean Foreign Minister Simeon Oyono Esono Angue and Gabon’s head of the Constitutional Council Dieudonne Aba’a Owono signed the accord committing both countries to respect the ICJ’s decision.

    “This matter has been settled once and for all,” the Equatorial Guinean minister said, adding the two countries must now “move forward.”

    Aba’a Owono said the agreement opened “a new era of cooperation with Equatorial Guinea.”

    AU Commission chairperson Mahmoud Ali Youssouf, who also signed the agreement, welcomed the resolution of a border dispute that he said had gone on for too long.

    Historic dispute

    The spat dated back to 1900, when then colonial powers France and Spain signed a treaty in Paris setting out the borders between the two countries.

    Gabon argued that a later treaty, the 1974 Bata Convention, then fixed the islands’ sovereignty in its favour.

    The two countries asked the ICJ to decide which legal texts were valid — the Paris Treaty of 1900 or the Bata Convention of 1974.

    The court ruled that the Bata Convention did not constitute a legal title to the islands, which was held by Spain and had passed to Equatorial Guinea upon independence in 1968.

    The islands themselves are tiny and virtually uninhabited but lie in an area potentially rich in oil and gas.

    Post Views: 62

    50year Equatorial GABON Guinea resolve
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Anjianjei Constantine
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Rabada suffers hamstring injury ahead of South Africas busy home season

    August 21, 2026

    WASHINGTON, WHY NOW? -America’s Economic Embrace of Yaoundé Comes at Precisely the Wrong Moment

    August 21, 2026

    Central African Republic Gold Mine Collapse Kills 100+

    August 20, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Search
    Latest Post

    MPs opposes proposed merger of Tourism Research Institute and Kenya Tourism Board

    August 21, 2026

    US Troop Withdrawal from Europe: A Blessing in Disguise?

    August 21, 2026

    Portugal qualify for Men’s T20 World Cup Europe Qualifier | ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Europe Sub Regional Qualifier C, 2026

    August 21, 2026

    Muslim World League launches counter

    August 21, 2026

    Rabada suffers hamstring injury ahead of South Africas busy home season

    August 21, 2026

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • TikTok
    ABS TV and ABS Network News is a leading Pan-African 24/7 broadcasting network delivering nonstop news, talk shows, lifestyle programs, and digital media content worldwide through Satellite, Streaming Platforms, and Roku TV.
     
    Based in the United States, we connect Africa to the world while empowering creators, journalists, and brands through innovative media and broadcasting services.
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp Instagram

    Our Picks

    Travel

    MPs opposes proposed merger of Tourism Research Institute and Kenya Tourism Board

    World News

    US Troop Withdrawal from Europe: A Blessing in Disguise?

    Africa News

    Portugal qualify for Men’s T20 World Cup Europe Qualifier | ICC Men’s T20 World Cup Europe Sub Regional Qualifier C, 2026

    Most Popular

    Features

    Muslim World League launches counter

    Trending

    Rabada suffers hamstring injury ahead of South Africas busy home season

    Breaking News

    How Africa’s Airport Boom Is Gaining Altitude

    © 2026 Copyright. All Rights Reserved by ABSAFRICATV
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Services

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.