Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Home
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms Of Service
    • Advertisement
    Wednesday, May 20
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    ABS Africa TV
    • Breaking News
    • Africa News
    • World News
    • Editorial
    • Environ/Climate
    • More
      • Cameroon
      • Ambazonia
      • Politics
      • Culture
      • Travel
      • Sports
      • Technology
      • AfroSingles
    • Donate
    ABSLIVE
    ABS Africa TV
    Home»Technology»Eskom threatens to cut power to Joburg
    Technology

    Eskom threatens to cut power to Joburg

    Chris AnuBy Chris AnuMay 20, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Eskom threatens to cut power to Joburg
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email
    Post Views: 31


    Siphiwe Sibeko/Reuters

    Eskom has issued a formal notice of its intention to reduce, interrupt or terminate electricity supply to several bulk supply points serving the City of Johannesburg, after arrear debt owed by the metro and its distributor, City Power, climbed past R5.2-billion.

    In a media statement on Tuesday evening, the utility said the City of Johannesburg and City Power owed it R5.26-billion in arrears on top of a current account of a further R1.58-billion due on 5 June. Eskom said it had worked with the city for more than two years to help it meet its payment obligations.

    The planned interruptions would take effect from 8 July unless the debt is resolved, and would follow a consultation process under the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act. Eskom’s notice identifies four substations as the affected supply points: Fordsburg, which feeds the Johannesburg CBD, Auckland Park and Mayfair; Beyers, supplying Fairlands and Cresta; Crowthorne; and Allandale, which serves Midrand.

    Eskom said it had worked with the city for more than two years to help it meet its payment obligations

    Eskom said the city has failed to honour a repayment settlement that was made an order of the high court in November 2025, defaulting on both its historical debt instalments and its current account despite that order – something the utility says has placed “enormous strain” on its cash flow.

    Eskom said it was unacceptable that the city was “collecting electricity revenue but failing to pay over Eskom’s share”, arguing that escalating municipal arrears undermine its financial sustainability and ability to keep electricity affordable.

    The standoff closely resembles one in November 2024, when Eskom issued a near-identical notice over R4.9-billion in arrears.

    Distribution agreement

    That dispute was defused after electricity minister Kgosientsho Ramokgopa intervened, City Power agreed to make a payment and an independent expert was appointed to investigate the city’s claims that Eskom had overbilled it by about R3.4-billion.

    City Power has previously disputed Eskom’s metering and billing.

    Eskom also used the statement to promote its “distribution agency agreement”, a long-term contract under which it takes over functions such as revenue collection, smart-meter installation and training in distressed municipalities.

    Read: City Power to roll out EV charging stations in Joburg

    It said nine municipalities had received council resolutions to sign such agreements. The model is central to Eskom’s response to municipal debt that it says exceeds R110-billion nationally, though the arrangement has drawn objections and a legal challenge.  – © 2026 NewsCentral Media

    Get breaking news from TechCentral on WhatsApp. Sign up here.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Chris Anu
    • Website

    Related Posts

    InterSystems IntelliCare Becomes the First AI-Native EHR to Achieve EU Medical Device Regulation Certification

    May 19, 2026

    Troubling questions over South African internet infrastructure attacks

    May 19, 2026

    Western Cape Department of Infrastructure Partners with Bentley Systems to Modernize Roadway Safety in South Africa

    May 19, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    ABS TV and ABS Network News is a leading Pan-African 24/7 broadcasting network delivering nonstop news, talk shows, lifestyle programs, and digital media content worldwide through Satellite, Streaming Platforms, and Roku TV.
     
    Based in the United States, we connect Africa to the world while empowering creators, journalists, and brands through innovative media and broadcasting services.
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest WhatsApp Instagram

    Our Picks

    World News

    Court orders hospital to resume gender-affirming care for transgender kids

    African Startup Funding Rebounds as Early-Stage Capital Shrinks – MEXC

    Trending

    Most popular messaging apps 2025| Statista

    Most Popular

    Sports

    Premier League: Arsenal rewarded for their patience with Arteta – Analysis

    World News

    ADNOC and UAE Pro League extend partnership for three more seasons

    Lifestyle

    Togo Removes Visa Requirements for All African Citizens | Here Is Everything You Need to Know

    © 2026 Copyright. All Rights Reserved by ABSAFRICATV
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Services

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.